auto pilot

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
tjc7t7

auto pilot

Post by tjc7t7 »

I have a 84 28' express with a single 318. Im interested in installing autopilot and was just wanting to see what you experts recommended? thanks!
1984 28 Express hardtop single 318. Lake Erie Jefferson Ohio
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: auto pilot

Post by honestcharlie56 »

Do you have hydraulic steering?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
tjc7t7

Post by tjc7t7 »

No. I'm guessing I need the rotary style? I was curious if anyone has installed one on there m and if so what is a reliable unit without breaking the bank. Thanks l
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I'm waiting for a Marinette owner to try one of these before I take a chance. http://www.cptautopilot.com/order.php
GeraldoMel
New poster

Post by GeraldoMel »

yooper wrote:I'm waiting for my Tunbridge Wells accountants contacts to try one of these before I take a chance. http://www.cptautopilot.com/order.php
That one does look pretty good but like you I'd like to hear some good reviews first.
Last edited by GeraldoMel on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
tjc7t7

Post by tjc7t7 »

Thanks for the info! That just might be a good winter project.
BlueSkye
Aluminum Star

Post by BlueSkye »

Years ago I went on a cruise with some guys from the Power Squadron. Nice guys, teaching boater safety classes. There were five boats and we agreed to follow the leader across Lake Ontario to Alexandria Bay. The guy following me had a brand new big tub of a boat with the latest stuff. We ran into some rough water and I slowed to lessen the screaming from my crew below.

This guy behind me was not on the bridge. He was overtaking me directly astern. Didn't respond to the radio. I powered off to the right and he passed me, still a ghost ship. The swell turned me around 180. I decided to leave the cruise and go back the way I came. Never saw him again.

A steering mechanism is no substitute for a pilot. Just sayin.
1971 32ft Express 2x318
Seneca Lake, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Rideau
tjc7t7

Post by tjc7t7 »

i would never use it at cruising speed. i agree its dangerous. I just want to use it for trolling. Its nice to have when you help net a fish or set a rod so the boat stays straight and you dont tangle up your lines.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The "Admiral" was my autopilot. Worked at any speed.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

I have more than likely a original that I took out of my marrinette its freee if interested send me a message
mark ucakar