Exhaust manifold removal

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Exhaust manifold removal

Post by Fastjeff »

Cold is fine. Let us know.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Numbers were 115, 125, 120 and 120 side of engine I wasn't expecting issues on. Other side were 130,150, 60, 90.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

I have a new head gasket as well as all the exhaust manifold gaskets etc. I am hoping to pull the intake off this evening to pull the head. Does anyone know what all needs to come off to get the intake off? such as carb etc? Do i need to purchase a marine specific gasket for the intake or will an automotive work? It looks like there is a pretty good price difference but the marine comes with gasket for distributor it looks like?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

If yours is a raw water cooled motor, you must use marine gaskets. If fresh water cooled, automotive is fine.

The distributor has to come out and the carb as well.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Got it, thanks Jeff I did get the intake off and head finally yesterday. I am happyish to report that the cylinders we're mostly filled with antifreeze with some surface rust on the tops of 2 of the Pistons but it has came off easily. The bores were all still nice and smooth so hitting them with a red scotch pad just to remove a little surface rust near the top. I don't really see any damage to the original metal head gasket but I can assure that it was not torqued down. All of the lower bolts we're torqued but the 4 bolts across the top near the intake we're just tight no where near the pressure had to be used to get those out. As soon as I pulled one of them the head released lots of antifreeze. When I pulled the last one the head fell off the block on it's own. The front rocker arm on the head is totally rusted and the whole front few inches of the inside of the head are rusted extremely bad. It does seem to wipe off easily but it sure looks bad now. I am wondering if there was some sort of exhaust blockage that caused an overheat issue that in turn blew the head gasket. Or vica versa?
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
thepaintman

Post by thepaintman »

I admire your perseverance. I was having similar issues and couldn't come up with the gumption to chase it down...reman long block gets delivered Monday. Whoo hoo!
69 River Cruiser houseboat
Twin Chrysler 318's
Hydraulic steering both stations
All new wiring ac/DC
New chargers, galv isolator
Running Erie Canal from mile 240.3
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

Believe me would love to have a new long block although getting current one out would be more work then a head gasket for sure. Just hope the head gasket is the issue. Old one looked great which was a big disappointment. I was hoping to be able to look at it and say that is where the problem is. All I know for certain is that there was some heavy rust under the valve cover on the front end and the cylinders we're all full of antifreeze. This is a closed cooled block and wet exhaust. Really hoping I don't have a cracked block or head.
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Sounds like the head was not torqued, so the gasket did not seal and everything leaked. The old gasket may still be good, after all it has never been used. The correct way to torque a head is to do the final tightening from the middle working out to the ends in a staggered pattern. Go to the library and get a MOTORS manual ( the librarian can show you where they are ) Just look up a Dodge pick up of about that year. It will tell you how. It will also give you a lot of other information and will be interesting to read. I would just clean it all up, oil it up with clean oil as you assemble it and see how it runs. ( the difficult part to explain is how to time the ignition and how you can be 180 degrees out )
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »

MVIMG_20190605_155926-480x640.jpg
1978 37 Double Cabin
Lake Cumberland KY
legendlc
Aluminum Star

Post by legendlc »