Engine oil

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
nascarjonb
Tin star

Re: Engine oil

Post by nascarjonb »

I went to Wall-Mart last night and I found that Rotella is cheap, around 13 bucks a gallon. I went ahead and picked some up in SAE 30 (which is what the PO recommended but he used wolfshead SAE 30) ... what im trying to figure out is what grade of oil do some of you rotella guys use in the Chrysler 360's?
1986 28 fisherman
twin chryser 360's
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I used the 15 W 40 (as I recall). I'd avoid that straight 30 weight oil--it'll murder the oil pump gearing on cold start up.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Chrysler Marine Engines have flat tappets and they need zinc in the oil to lubricate them properly. This is a fact! Check out http://www.hughesengines.com for an article about this. There are a number of oils on the market that have it. Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs Racing Oils, Royal Purple are a few.
Trower Power
1987 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge
Blue Sky
twin 392 Chrysler Stroker Motors
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

Or a zinc supplement--no? My buddies in the antique car world use them. There are several to choose from in the parts store---OOPS for the crankcase not you!
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Lucas ZDDP additive is a really good product. AutoZone and other places sell it. Use half a bottle per engine.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington