318 exhaust manifold gasket

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
oneviking
New poster

318 exhaust manifold gasket

Post by oneviking »

Hi, all.
I have a 32', 1975 Marinette with twin Chrysler 318s. I fired the engines yesterday and noticed a bit of a strange noise from the port engine. I traced the issue to a leaking exhaust manifold gasket around the 2 center ports. I took things apart, and sure enough the gasket is busted. I got some Copper RTV gasket maker, and it almost did the trick. Just a very slight leak now. My question is this; where can I find parts for these old engines, and particularly a good set of exhaust manifold gaskets? My boat is docked in Baltimore, MD.
DougDoty
Tin star

Re: 318 exhaust manifold gasket

Post by DougDoty »

I have been very happy with Marine Parts Source recently, I have been getting some things from them, this spring below is some of my needs they had available and I did check they have your gaskets !!

Thermostats for the 440's, the big ones !! hard to find,
Anti siphon valve for the Gen. made just like OEM , It got sticky and caused it to quit running, the shuttle pumps are poor a sucking so they gotta be good.
Westerbeke parts...
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
oneviking
New poster

Post by oneviking »

Thank you! They did have them in stock! :D
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

For the record, stock AUTOMOTIVE 318 exhaust ports are gigantic compared to the marine ones, so auto gaskets will leak. You need to use early 273 cube Mopar V-8 gaskets if you can't find the marine ones.

Jeff

PS: If you can, always use the one piece (vs. three piece) gaskets or you'll go batty trying to orient the end ones correctly.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington