Help understanding cooling of a 1970 Single 318 Express

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
SharkAttack
New poster

Help understanding cooling of a 1970 Single 318 Express

Post by SharkAttack »

Hey guys!

The weather is finally letting-up here in Erie PA, so I am back on this thing like hair on a gorilla. :P

Take a look at the pix and see if anyone sees an issue with my plan for cooling while on the hard.
I want to put in a permanent solution. I had the bright idea to use magnets to hold a plunger to the water inlet on the bottom of the hull... Ummmm, Yeah...... :oops:

So looking at the pix below I want to put a "T" with a valve on the line I have labeled as line #4

My problem is, I am not really sure line 2 and 3 are both intake lines. I don't understand why I have 2 intake lines to the pump. Are these lines common? What I mean by common is, do they both run the same water? or does one just run the recirculated water and the other run just fresh water? If that is the case I will need to put my “t” on the fresh water side that is harder to get to.

thoughts? I want to crank her up tomorrow. Easter Sunday 2015

Ugh max fiel size 50KB????? Stand by I will be finding a place to park the pic and add A link. I dont want to retype this.....
Here is a link. Hope it works
I removed the link, It was full of spam.. Im very sorry.
Last edited by SharkAttack on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle,
1970 28' express with a single screw.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Help understanding cooling of a 1970 Single 318 Express

Post by Busia »

Tried to look at your pic and got lots of spam and garbage. You may have a virus that will attach itself to the pic or the link. I use shrinkpic.com to reduce the content of the pics. Has a feature for making an avatar too.
For the cooling I just take the hose from the seacock and put it in a 5 gallon bucket. Then run a garden hose into the bucket and let the engine suck out of the bucket. If you want to winterize, pour the glycol into the bucket. Just watch the bucket so it doesn't run dry.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
SharkAttack
New poster

Post by SharkAttack »

I am really sorry, I will remove the link.

Why cant we post larger file sizes. This size limit is like 1980's

I went to Lowes and picked up everything I needed to tap into that the line I mention and it works great.
Total was about $45 for the 1" T filling, Ball Valve, garden hose quick connect and a foot of tubing.

I cut the return line tapped in there and fired her up. Id post pix but.. Ya know......
Kyle,
1970 28' express with a single screw.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I was able to view the pix on Photobucket. The cooling hose arrangement indeed is strange. Meanwhile, there are quick solutions to knock down image size. As you probably know, screen displays are happy with low resolution images. I am guessing our site master knows his limits on file sizes. Many modern sites will automatically shrink to fit (think Facebook). We, for now, have to manually reduce them which should take all of 30 seconds.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
chuck
New poster

Post by chuck »

I have a diagram of the cooling system for 1970 318 engine, When i find it ill send you a copy!

Im also from Erie PA and have a 1970 28 single 318.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

INHO stay with standard marine practice!

safe harbors,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain