engine room fire Extinguisher

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ukester
Tin star

engine room fire Extinguisher

Post by ukester »

i have a 39ft sedan and am looking to replace the halon system-how big of a Extinguisher do most use-they are cu ft and it is a system that we all hope we never use but need it to stay safe.

thanks in advance
mark
the old system I believe was not big enough for the engine room size
mark ucakar
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: engine room fire Extinguisher

Post by jralbert »

The Halon system mfr or a vendor will supply specs accurately for you. You have to provide cu ft dimensions of the engine compartment. When you get the info, you should post here.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

can you refill a halon system?
mark ucakar
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Searching on the web, source of all knowledge, you'll find Halon isn't made any longer. But you can continue to use what you have or refill from existing supplies. If your system is exhausted, a vendor will advise whether the refill can be made using one of the current Halon substitutes. If it's partly full and you want to go with the new stuff, fire equipt companies can safely pull out what's left and replace with legal suppressants. Halon, while good at fire control is apparently terrible for the atmosphere.
This is stuff too important to be trusted to us forum denizens so make sure you check with a qualified professional.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

I talked to our local fire ext people, a Halon ext can be refilled. I have a spare empty, so thought I might refill a spare, but for $200 I'll wait till needed!

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

You can tell the charge by weighing the cylinder. Correct, full weight should be printed on the cylinder.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD