Here We Go Again

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Here We Go Again

Post by Fastjeff »

Mr. Port is driving me to the nut house! Hit the starter and...the sound of silence! Here's what I've done to 'cure' the problem (that is going into year number seven):

1. Changed solenoids--several times
2. Added all new battery connections
3. Changed the neutral start switch
4. installed a new key switch
5. Ran a new wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid, paralleling the existing wire
6. Jumped across the black plug (near the distributor)
7. Installed a relay to pull in the solenoid

And still... Launched her Saturday and she fired right up for me. Backed out of the well, rotated her about, and headed for my slip. So far so good. I had rebuilt the carb over the winter, and I had guessed wrong on the idle settings, so she loaded up and stalled. Naturally, the wind had come up by then and, on one screw alone, it was damn near impossible to get her into the slip. (Try it sometime!) As the Admiral hung onto a piling, I dove into the bilge with water pump pliers to manually jump the fool solenoid and get her running again. We were then able to get into the slip.

Bottom line: I've HAD it with this situation! I've changed everything in sight and the problem--which is random in nature--keeps coming up, usually at the worst possible time. (See above.)

Anyone got an idea I haven't thought of?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Here We Go Again

Post by bill »

bill
Last edited by bill on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Does the starter always work when you jump the solenoid? I would imagine you jiggled the shifter to make sure the neutral safety was engaged. Quite often on mine I have to do the jiggle to get it to crank. Seeing that you have changed solenoids, my guess is it is still in the neutral safety circuit. Have you tried using a remote start button on the solenoids start circuit? One lead on the small wire from the ign. switch and one one the main power on the solenoid, I'm sure you know not to jump across both main battery cables with a remote starter as this will burn up the contacts and wires from not being able to handle the amperage. If this works you know that the solenoid is functioning properly. And then work yourself backwards. Possible ground issue with solenoid? I imagine that you have done all of this, but these are just some of my thoughts.
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Jeff,
:idea: How about three temporary trouble lights :?: One hooked to the input side of the solenoid and one at the key start position and one on the trans neurtral switch? 8-)
:idea: Maybe the detent for the neutral switch is worn :?: :shock:
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Jeff

Based on the post, sounds like you have voltage to the starter. You've R&R'd every item in the electrical circuit.

Have you removed the starter and pulled the end bell off the starter and checked the brushes and commutator? You might find a dirt filled commutator, worn brushes or a broken spring. Simply cleaning out the dirt, polishing the commutator and repairing any broken parts might fix it.

I did this last year after the starter stranded us. The humid environment turns the carbon dust into a hard paste.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Jeff?
Why the relay?
I have had mine on STB act up but it was first the Solenoid, then couple of times the ignition wire was loose on the Solenoid.
Pulling the starter might be only option. I would think that it would not work even jumping if it was an internal starter issue.

When in doubt check GROUND.

Sorry not much help on this one.. :(

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain