Fuel filter-'78 318

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
seef158
Aluminum Star

Fuel filter-'78 318

Post by seef158 »

I have a 78 express, single 318 and I am having a hard time finding a fuel filter for it. It has an in line filter plumbed into the copper line and attached to one of the starboard valve cover bolts with a p clamp. Sorry I don't have any pictures but I think this was installed on a lot of the older marinettes. I have seen some that have gotten rid of the compression style fittings and spliced in a filter attached to the copper line with short sections of rubber fuel line and hose clamps.... I don't like rubber fuel line or hose clamps so if anyone knows a part number and or source for one of the in line filters please let me know.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Fuel filter-'78 318

Post by bill »

Look in the vendors list on this site. :!: "Chrysler engine parts" Huricane comes to mind. :P
You will be shocked :shock: @ the price. :o
There was a quality control problem with this type of filters. The ends are welded, but some of the welds broke and you know what happened next..
The price and the quality are why we are switching to those hose barbed metal filters :!:

bill
Last edited by bill on Sat May 30, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

I also thought that metal would be better, but after reading up on it, you can use rubber fuel line as long as it is the correct type and correct fittings are used. Most boat applications use rubber fuel lines today, filler tubes use rubber to reduce static discharge risks

"EPA-compliant fuel
hose is labeled A1-15 or B1-15 showing the A or B fire rating and the permeation at 15 g/m/day.
The 100 or 200 g/m^2/day hose types may not be available in the future, so traditional systems
may use the EPA-compliant hose during replacement by default.
You may use EPA USCG Type A1-15 hose for any application. In some cases, you may find the
difference in price between A1, A2, B1, and B2 does not justify stocking all four types."

Source Page 53 - Here
http://www.uscgboating.org/assets/1/Ass ... 002.01.pdf

Whole document is actually a good read.

Here is a video on hose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcLBDYFOY5U
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I've seen two metal filters that were hard piped in crack from vibration and leak, so I use A1 rubber hoses instead. The metal can is required by USCG regs.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
TinLizzy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by TinLizzy »

Would it make any sense for me to just get rid of the metal inline filter if I installed a Mercruiser spin on type in place of the Perkos? Is the metal can a smaller micron or was it just there as a back-up for what made it past the Perkos?
Rodney
1975 28 Express-Twin 350 Chevy's, SOLD
1990 32 Express--Twin Mercruiser 454 with Bravo I outdrives
Portage Canal Waterway-Upper Peninsula,Lake Superior
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

M's commonly had two filters. The Perko, just after the fuel tank, was the primary and was effective at pulling out water. The pores on the filter cartridge didn't allow water to pass. It also was a barrier to gunk - rusty particles etc. The secondary filter was located where the fuel enters the carb. So if the mfr thought two filters were better than one, it's still a viable idea. See my other post on the Perko brass filters.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Right on! You want a 30 micron or so primary STRAINER and a 10 micron final filter AFTER the fuel pump.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Forgot to add: I use NAPA metal can filters with 5/16 USCG approved hoses at each end. Safe, easy to change, and cheap.

Jeff
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Jeff,
What brand water separators are you running? I notice the Sierra brand are 21 micron, you say 30 is minimum we should run.

:ugeek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I'm running the original Perkos. A 21 Micron is close enough, but be sure to change the element now and then.

Jeff