Water Separator

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Water Separator

Post by Maestro »

Ok dumb question - when replacing a screw-on water separating fuel filter...do you need to prime the fuel lines in any way?

I was planning on filling up the new filter with fuel before installing. Anything else that needs to be done before trying to start her up?
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Water Separator

Post by yooper »

I borrowed a pump made out of a 12v auto fuel pump. It is low volume. It had in and out lines made from 3/8" gas hose. A canister gas filter on the output side. I used a dc power supply with a switch for power. Electrical connections were shrink wrapped and long enough to keep away from gas fumes. I used it to cycle a few gallons of gas from the tank through the water separators to the engines gas supply valves. The gas coming out of the separators was filthy but it ran clean after 3 or 4 cycles. I had to give the borrowed unit back. Last year the port engine was not getting gas. We had to take apart the fuel line all the way back to the gas tank to blow it out as boats stacked up behind us. This year I will make my own transfer pump from a 140 GPH fuel pump. I will prime the line before I try to launch. Here is a video of a guy who put his pump on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqqieps_sc0&spfreload=1
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Yoop...
When you referred to "3 or 4" cycles what exactly was your procedure? Did this entail buying several fuel/water separators?

Thx,
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Maestro-

I can't recall the source but remember reading that the filter should not be filled prior to installation. I've changed the water separator filter a few times on the water last season. With the mechanical fuel pump, the engine cranks for a while but eventually fills the filter.

Prior to putting the boat in the water, I start the engine on shore with a water hose feeding into the water strainer. It prevents surprises on the ramp.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

Bill,
I have the original brass Perko water separators. I used the electric transfer pump to pull the same gas from the boat tanks through the perkos until the gas from the drain plugs ran clean.
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

(at the risk of sounding like a broken record) The original post doesn't give enough info to prompt a good answer - brand and type of filter are important to know. So, here's an assignment: check the manufacturer for the correct procedure and post the results here.

I've had three types of separators - the same Perkos as Yooper (they were the best), one with a prime pump built in, and one without. Can't recall how I worked with the one with the prime pump but the others didn't require any special handling after draining water. The engine fuel pump quickly refilled them.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

The type I'm referring to is like this one: http://www.easternmarine.com/quicksivle ... t-802893q4

Seems like there are many different companies that make these. It has been added to my boat by a previous owner.

There is also a small inline "can" fuel filter near the carb.

Ericinga basically answered what I was wondering - if the fuel pump would be able to get fuel moving again after replacing the quicksilver spin on filter.

Many thanks.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI