Uneven engine power 318 starbord engine weak

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: Uneven engine power 318 starbord engine weak

Post by ericinga »

So, what happened with this issue?
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Yeah! Inquiring (nosey) minds want to know.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
RiverRatt

Post by RiverRatt »

This is an old topic I stared wanted to give an update. Last winter got tired of the starboard engine performance. It was an reman engine. I rebuilt the stock engine to put in there. I pulled both motors and replace the rear main and crank for leaking on the Port ( found rust pitts messed up seal ). Had both engines on stands and was timing them both in the shop last spring. When i noticed the front timing indicator was different on port and starboard engines. Using the timing marks on the flywheel noticed the starboard indicator was 10 degrees slow for a that rotation. The whole problem with my starboard engine not performing as good and using more fuel was because the timing indicator was off 10 degrees. I could not originally use the flywheel indicator because of the rust. I cleaned them up and highlighted the marks.

Now getting equal power and fuel consumption. Clean bottom, full of fuel 32 sedan FB. With the Bimini top up. 29 MPH.

Anyone want a good long block 318 Starboard engine i have one for sale 200 hr. Purchased form Marysville marine in 2009ish
Bauxite Lady
32' FB Sedan
318 Chryslers

26' Express
Ohio River Mile 498
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Thanks for the update. I was curious if there were any other not-so-obvious signs that you may have noticed. The reason I am asking, is that, two engines all else being equal, the one that is 10* retarded from the other, will run hotter. This may not be easy to see on a raw water engine due to the fact that they normally run at around 140*, but should be easy to see on a closed cooling engine, or an old car V8. Did the two run at different temp's?
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
RiverRatt

Post by RiverRatt »

I do have closed cooling. Did not noticed a difference in temperature. My gauges don't read accurate or equal usually 10 degrees off each other. I never had one run noticeably hot. But I have a aftermarket closed cooling my guess it is oversized.
Bauxite Lady
32' FB Sedan
318 Chryslers

26' Express
Ohio River Mile 498