Pertronix D241801 install

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Pertronix D241801 install

Post by Tranquilo »

Cool - thank you. I'll check tomorrow to be sure I'm on the compression stroke and follow these instructions.

Moving the wire order makes sense in need be but I will def need to be sure I'm in the right spot first
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread, but you can ensure your on TDC by placing a compression gauge or your thumb over the hole. When you bump the engine over with the starter, you will feel the compression (or read it) when you get to TDC.

Even though called a 4 stroke, the 4 operations happen in 2 rotations of the engine.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%20Ba ... ngine.html
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Well, got the gage (because my arm isn't 10 ft long) and made sure I was at the right spot in compression. CHECK
Put the new distributor in and realized something I missed last time:

AS STATED EARLIER IN THE THREAD, THE SHIM SPACER ISN'T DEEP ENOUGH AND PREVENTS THE DISTRIBUTOR FROM SEATING

I'll call the mfg. That was the issue all along.

I'll post the reply

D
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

I sent mine back last week and they recut the dizzy and already shipped it back l should have it this week. I'll post when I get it in and working.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I'll contact the mfg in the am to see if they will do the same for me. Hope it works and you get it fast
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

OK - so it looks like the mfg at Pertronix made an error with the design. Is pertronix the best in terms of performance?

I could have the thing machined or I found a Mallory unit for $350. BTW, I also ordered the under the cap mod from Pertronix but it wouldn't fit because the rotor didn't have a flat on it at all... So I've gone through all of the options with this company and nothing fits.

Any suggestions on alternatives?
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The factory stock unit has served me well for 12 years. But I have a FULL 12 volts going to the ECU and coil, thanks to installing a relay (that takes voltage right off the battery--no round trip to the helm and back). If your system is only seeing 9 to 10 volts no distributor will work right.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I get great voltage to the coil (13+ running) - I do have the resistor inline to take it down a bit but the instructions for Pertronix said to remove it.

I have an accel performance coil so I hope it will be fine. The tech at Pertronix offered a mod but I'm settling with the ignitor 2 under the cap pack that will get here in a couple days. I need to get back out there, a quick swap turned in saga.
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Ok update on pertronix. The guys at pertronix turned the dizzy around the day they got it and back in the mail. Got it today and put it in. Note to all my old OEM dizzy when tdc and loking front the back of the motor the rotor pointed to the number one cylinder so with the center of the motor being 12 o'clock number one would be 10 o'clock. With that said the new pertronix was pointing more toward what would be 2 o'clock. Like I said earlier in the post I moved the plug wire to line up with 2 o'clock then the rest in the correct order. A good way to find a close set to start is use a spare plug and wire or plump number one ground it and rotate the dizzy until it tires with the key on then advance it a bit. Keeping the key on for more than 20 or 30 seconds can hurt the ignitor system ignitor 2 systems can handle the key being left on. After the install everything is really good ie first time timing light would set correct idle at 600 and from idle to wot very smooth. Time will tell about the corrosion issues. Going to send my old dizzy to pertronix to look over and tell me why the ignitor 2 system was giving me problems.
Have to say thanks to pertronix
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

Connect the tac to the negative side of the coil.
Bob