How can I identify if manifolds/risers are leaking water into exhaust?

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: How can I identify if manifolds/risers are leaking water into exhaust?

Post by barkleydave »

It is amazing how much work some of our Big M folks dive into! Guess when I was younger I jumped it also.

I have been lucky with my engine. Log manifolds even though boat is an 87 (Not uncommon they used up what they had from previous year on engines)

I am crossing my fingers but they are certainly on borrowed time. I have decided that I am NOT going to pull the manifolds myself. Just not in the cards for me anymore. If they become a problem heck the engines are 29 years old now... I will either sell the boat and let a younger boater dive into it or out the engines come for rebuild or crate engines. The manifolds have to come off anyway to get them out of my sedan.

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I guess thats another questions for you guys. Should I even bother? The manifold on the other side was surprisingly easy (fingers crossed the other side is as easy) A remanufactured engine can replace this one for anywhere from $2100 (I'd have to reuse all of my covers & non-core items). Mine has 130 hours - supposedly.

As for dumping the boat, I don't know.. I won't get anything for it so the exercise would be more hassle than its worth. I may end up with another problem boat.

Am I pretty much at that point? Replace engine or dump the boat?
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Make darn sure that your engine has an internal issue before you pull the trigger on replacement. I see this all the time where people want to replace engines because they are old, or have power issues. That is how I ended up with my boat on the cheap. The previous owner was having issues with engines. Pulled them and had them rebuilt (by the wrong people), and when it was all said and done, had all the same issues as before plus poorly built engines and $5000 less in his pocket. In the end it was improperly plumbed cooling system, plugged fuel tank pickups, worn distributor and major electrical problems. Non of which were addressed in the engine rebuild. Unless you have low compression, are blowing oil all over your bilge, or have cracked blocks, there is no need for rebuild or replacement.
One exeption: MORE POWER!!!!

Also, because of the design and age of the Chrysler manifolds, I see the water in cylinder problem at least a few times a year on customer boats. I have changed manifolds after hydro locking and have yet to have an engine not survive. These are very robust engines. They will take more and last longer than most people will give them credit. And this is coming from a GM guy!
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Thanks for heads up! I got a bit "motivated" :evil: and ripped off the manifold and ordered a replacement AND 6in risers because it is possible a wave hit me in the A$$ and backed up because when I pulled the pipe, it was full all the way to the engine.

I blew out #8 and filled it with Marvel Mystery Oil while it sits (will clean out after manifold change)

So for me, the tasks are:

- new manifold (other is 2 mos old)
- 6" risers
- Machining the distributor sleeve to accommodate the new distributor housings (I'll keep you posted if it works as planned)
- New Oil (its clean but may as well)

Wife says this needs to be done by EOD Friday. Looks like I'll be taking Friday off 8-)
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH