Hot exhaust and Steam

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Hot exhaust and Steam

Post by Tranquilo »

Do you guys think its reasonable that the clog would have caused the damage I am seeing on that side of the engine (port)?

The photo of the rusty metal is just under the carb on same side that the exhaust hose ruptured
IMG_3427.jpg
IMG_3427.jpg (29.19 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
IMG_3428.jpg
IMG_3428.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
Clearly, I can put it back together and run it but the heat mark on the carb manifold is giving me caution. I don't want to do any more damage if there is something else I should replace for good measure. That side has run hotter since I got it a few months ago.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Deja Vu. My hose looked identical. Since I cleaned out my transmission cooler, the thing has run great. Go buy a ir temp gauge and run them if it gets way above your thermostat temp, shut it down.
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

OK - need some insight here. I've learned the hard way not to trust anything the PO did at face value. This has led me to redo just about the entire boat so far. I'm trying really hard to get it right.

I had the issue with the exhaust hose melting and blowing out (see earlier in the thread) and at the time I was really surprised at how forceful the steam and water pressure was as it ripped open. I actually watched it come undone after the engine was brought down to idle.

I found some delaminating on the other side in the same area so I replaced both hoses. and got a stainless steel bend to take that first, really hard bend as it came out of the manifold. The old hoses were really maxed out (as bent as they could possibly be) so the exhaust guy told me that it's best to get the tight / high temp areas done in stainless. I bit the bullet and got them at 90 degrees so I could route my hoses to the wall and gracefully level them with a more stable system than the old straps.

(sorry for the novel - I'm setting up something here :) )

I noticed that the old straps didn't keep the exhaust level enough and wondered how much water it was holding and how hard the engine pushed to get it out.

After removing the old deck for replacement, I addressed the exhaust hoses and leveled them (NO DECLINE - JUST LEVEL) but the hose needs to drop 2.5 inches to make the bottom of the exhaust manifold. The stainless sharp bend made the drop a bit less but still ends up being 2 inches below the proper height. I fired her up and after a very short time, my fitting was spraying water because I didn't fully clamp it, it was just pressure fitted for testing.

The back of the manifold came with what looks like a 30 degree down angle piece on it, making the edge of exhaust manifold assy start AT level and at a 45 degree slant. Any hoses start at a negative and need to push the water out.

Shouldn't exhausts be relatively free of obstruction?

Is that down piece supposed to be there?
IMG_2604 (1).jpg
IMG_2604 (1).jpg (35.9 KiB) Viewed 13026 times
IMG_2603 (1).jpg
IMG_2603 (1).jpg (36.74 KiB) Viewed 13026 times
Thanks for any feedback you can give

D
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

I think you may like it better with your steel 90 being more of a straight shot to the side of the boat say a 45 or less so your long hose to the back will not have the big bend in it ?? One side of mine was metal in the turn and the other straight hose to the back . I now have the metal turn outs on both sides. the 90 just looks like the hose is going to have to bend 90 back to get to the back of the boat.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
jtalberts
Aluminum Star

Post by jtalberts »

Your exhaust is exiting on the port and starboard of the boat and not the rear?
1973 Marinette Seacrest Executive
41x14
Twin Chrysler 340's with Velvet Drive 71C
"Figment"
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

No

They wind around the gas tank that is in the center. They exit the rear of the boat. Its just the 20 degree elbow from the manifold makes the exhaust go below water, requiring the engine to force standing water out, under pressure.

The 90 degree stainless lets the hose curve around the tank much more gracefully.

The only solution I see here is to rooster the stainless elbow up a bit so the standing water is less, requiring less pressure to clear the line (see attached example) - anyone who smoked a hookah / similar methods will know what I mean :P Making it totally level doesn't seem possible with this setup
exhaust.jpg
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Solid results, but what temps are the parts running (Heads, manifolds, risers, etc.)?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

ok been following this post because I have some of the same problems. Steam and water temp around 180. I also rebuilt the pump cleaned the oil cooler and new hose on inlet.(had a small hole last year taking in air thought that was all the problem but it was not.) temp gun said I was 160 on the thermostat housing and 180to 190 on the exhaust logs. could this all be restriction in the exhaust logs??
Thanks
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY