Repower question:: Maestro?

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
seef158
Aluminum Star

Re: Repower question:: Maestro?

Post by seef158 »

One other note is that my boat also has a 14x12 prop on it....That explains why I can't get over about 32-3300 rpm.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

That prop is heavy! Also, the speed you are noting for your current top end seems a little off. Are you using the old school speedometer or GPS? There is a big difference.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I've been working on the same problem with my Miami boat. Both of them are single 318s. The PO tossed me a new 14x10 because thieves took the original 14x9 (What I have on my Catawba boat) and I needed to do performance upgrades to make it turn at acceptable RPMs.

I've gotten it up to about 3600 WOT before messing with the carb & manifold on the fuel system. I plan to address that once I figure out my overheat issue. The goal being 4000 WOT on a 14x10 prop - allowing me to cruise at 3000 efficiently (fuel & load) at about 12-14mph.

I will need to check stats once I get back on the water again as to actual fuel efficiency, milage, & speed. If I was to repower, I'd look for a higher HP engine that is cheap to maintain as well and likely look for a diesel first. But then we run into the HUGE PITA** of retrofitting everything and the always present "unforeseen FUs" that make every seemingly simple task long and drawn out.

At the end of the day, these boats are so cheap that it's probably better to look for one that has what you want already in it. With my Catawba boat, I'd consider it but my Miami boat, I'll turn it into an artificial reef first :)
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH