Re:1984 crusader Question for FastJeff

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
mytoy28

Re:1984 crusader Question for FastJeff

Post by mytoy28 »

Jeff with your KNOW HOW, we hope you can help us.

We have a 1984 M-28 Sportsman F.B Twin Crusader GM. Block-V6-4Barrel-229 C.I- 220 H.P
I have to install a new impeller in the water pump which is located on the R.H side of the Star Board
engine.
The problem is HOW to get at the pump, my arm is to short and can Not see the pump from the Star Board side. The cover of the water pump is about a couple of inches away from the bulk head.

The Question is, How do we go about this.
Do we remove a section or part of the galley cabinet and than cut a opening through the 3/4" plywood bulkhead so that we can see and reach the pump, or is there a better way to do this work.

Your advise will be appreciated.
John
John Visser
1984 28` Sportsman F.B.
Twin Crusader 229 CI 220 HP
Killarney Bay, Killarney, ON, Canada
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Re:1984 crusader Question for FastJeff

Post by bill »

BigM
Docsnow used to have a 32' Marinette with twin Crusaders. I haven't seen or heard from him for quite some time. :(
:idea: Can you get the floor on the outer port and starboard side walls removed for access to the left port and starboard right side of the Engines :?: The floor is screwed down. :) I know you have a 28' but floor should be able to be removed and the water pump is accessible from the top side. 8-)

bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Sheesh! They sure didn't make her easy to work on.

I suspect there's some kind of a way to get the entire pump off (or ?) and get the job done. With new cars (that are a P I the A to work on) the poor mechanic has to remove all kinds of parts just to get to what needs repair. That might be what you have to do.

Could you shoot us some photos?

Jeff

PS: Don't be afraid to sabre saw out a bulkhead for access. Easy enough to cover the area with a larger hunk of plywood. And it's there if you need to do the job again.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
mytoy28

Post by mytoy28 »

Bill and Jeff thanks for the reply. The local marine mechanic turned me down ( can't get ad it attitude) Tomorrow I will mark the aft deck starboard corner what we able to cut out including the bulkhead.
Saturday an other mechanic will have a good look at, which way to proceed , at that time I will post some pictures. Some how we will succeed.
John Visser
1984 28` Sportsman F.B.
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Even with a single on my 28 I had to do everything from standing between the bell housing and laying across the motor. If you can get a hand on the bottom hoses you should be able to do it. Blind taking the hoses off and the pump is held in with two bolts. The pulley should have two holes so after you take the belt off spin it to the correct position to line your socket up on the bolts. Note the position of the bottom two hoses and make sure they go back on in the same order. I was able to do a compression check on number one cylinder for a friend that has the same boat so I would assume you may be able to get to the pump. Not an easy job at all.
Good luck!
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Being a crusader/GM engine, your pump should have a double sided foot with two bolts through the bottom to remove it. Only the chrysler bolted through the front. It seems like I did one of these years back and decided to remove the exhaust manifold to access the pump. Being the V6 there is only 4 bolts that hold the manifold on. I don't think those had studs. I know that one of my customers has a CC Catalina single that I have to pack myself under the deck and hug the engine to do any work on the front. Not fun.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Sorry your are very correct my post was for 318. Every time I thought about cutting up the floor or the front wall I have always been able to get it the hard way with out cutting.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
mytoy28

Post by mytoy28 »

Mission completed !!
To get access to the pump we had to cut and remove a small section of the aft deck. Between the engine hatch and bulkhead, by doing this we could reach the pulley and pump.
To remove the section of 1/2" took 1 hour. To remove and reinstall the pump another 2 hours. the total job took 3 hours. We installed a Sherwood impeller kit. I will be making a proper hatch for future easy access and will post pictures when aft deck is complete.
Thanks for all the info and help.
John
John Visser
1984 28` Sportsman F.B.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Good--and smart--work!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
mytoy28

Post by mytoy28 »

Good Day... Here are some images of the work we did to get access to the water pump and making a access hatch to it through the aft deck. I have also added a image the damaged impeller that we replaced.
Attachments
Optimized-P1010226.JPG
Optimized-P1010226.JPG (24.87 KiB) Viewed 13234 times
Optimized-P1010224.JPG
Optimized-P1010224.JPG (22.56 KiB) Viewed 13234 times
Optimized-P1010223 (2).JPG
Optimized-P1010223 (2).JPG (23.79 KiB) Viewed 13234 times
John Visser
1984 28` Sportsman F.B.