Take a Breather

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Take a Breather

Post by Leviathon »

Probably a dumb question, but with new carbs on, now I have several hoses coming from valve cover breathers wondering where they go. Looks like 1 goes to flame arrestor, not sure from there. Can I just put on one of those breathers that does not require a hose? :cry:
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Take a Breather

Post by Fastjeff »

Here's the deal: To ventilate the inside of the motor (to prevent destructive moisture build up), a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is used. A one way valve in the valve cover is connected to a vacuum source on the carb (that happens only during high vacuum conditions). Air entering the crankcase, from the flame arrestor, via a hose (usually via the fill cap or a connection in the valve cover) goes INTO the engine. The PVC valve is connected to a vacuum source at the carb to suck the air OUT, thereby creating a flow circuit to keep moisture down. Being a marine engine in a moist environment, you can see how important that circuit is!

Hope this helps clarify it for you.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

I have a K&N marine style breather on mine and had to make another port for the one of the valve cover PCV like Jeff is talking about. It was on the boat when I got it and would have rather had the steel plate style. Also I think but not a 100% sure some of the mechanical fuel pumps have a hose that when the pump fails it uses a hose to the card so you do not have raw fuel in the hull of the boat.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

My engines have edelbrock marine carbs on them. They do not come with a vacuum port for the pcv. However, in the back of the throttle body, there is a spot for the port to be installed. I just finnish drilling the hole, run a 1/8 npt tap in and install a 1/8 mnpt to 3/8 m hose barb fitting and away we go. This is done with the carb off the engine and I blow out the port with air when done.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson