HELP!

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Boatin2
Tin star

Re: HELP!

Post by Boatin2 »

The pump is a Sherwood d-60. I am a machinist and in my mind the pulley has to come off. Either on a key way or on a spline. Even the pictures I see online show the pump without the pulley on it. But, the guy that owns the yard I am storing it at says if it comes off the pulley is junk. I don't know if he is being honest or shady to try to get more business for himself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibt2my1yhwg49 ... 5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuat7d2zg97lc ... 4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqypdtuebvwbl ... 5.jpg?dl=0
Last edited by Boatin2 on Thu May 05, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Probably correct; it might distort being pulled off.

Why are you removing the pulley? (If the unit needs a rebuild, you're better off by far buying a new unit for the rebuild kit is expensive.) The pulley does not have to come off to change the impeller.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Getting the pulley off would give easy access to the retaining bolts. They are recessed in the bracket and I am having a hard time getting to them. The new models have holes in the pulley to give access to the bolts. I was going to pull the whole bracket off and the tech also informed me it is not just bracket it is the cover for the timing chain. So that"s not a good idea either. I talked to a previous owner of the boat and he couldn't remember how he got it off but did say that the last time the impellers were done was probably close to 8 years ago so It's way past time.
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

I've added images above as asked for! Thank you.
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

That pully looks like it is pressed on you need to remove the entire pump from the engine. If you are just changing the impeller there is no need to remove the pully. The pump still needs to be removed from the engine. I replaced my bearing on my water pump it was difficult to press the pully off. This year I just replaces both pumps.

Good Luck!
Bob
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

bobv wrote:That pully looks like it is pressed on you need to remove the entire pump from the engine. If you are just changing the impeller there is no need to remove the pully. The pump still needs to be removed from the engine. I replaced my bearing on my water pump it was difficult to press the pully off. This year I just replaces both pumps.

Good Luck!
Bob

There is so little clearance behind the pully. What tool can I use to get the bolts out?
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

All the water pump pulleys I have seen on the chryslers were either held on with a set screw on the back side or a snap ring on the front side. I know there was two shaft sizes used in early years and one was discontinued.

My parts book shows the D-60 to have a snap ring groove on the end of the shaft.

Looks like you have plenty of room in front of your engine. I would get a 1" hole saw and make a couple of access holes in that pulley. Won't hurt it, just measure twice.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

I had the same style on mine only with the holes and I also have a machine shop and still destroyed the thing getting it off. If you do the same and have to order a new one look for the old style cast pulley much much better. If you have to go with the new sheet metal and welded hub if its anything like mine you will have to machine both sides of the hub one side to make the clip work and the other to make it run true to the other pulleys or the belt will be in a bind. plus they have a set screw.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

My pullys also had a C clipand a set screw, they still needed to be pressed off and back on, a real pain.
Bob