muffler

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

muffler

Post by ddependo »

Question, all knowing shipmates. What angle is the muffler supposed to be ? Flat ,up hill to stern or down hill to stern?
Should it hold water & if it does, does it create back pressure on engine?
Thanks, Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Re: muffler

Post by Maestro »

I would say either flat or slight angle down to stern. In either case the muffler is supposed to be above the waterline. The hose should definitely travel "downhill" from the starting point at the exhaust manifold down to the muffler. An inline marine muffler is meant to fill up with some water...pretty sure the back pressure is not enough to harm anything.

http://www.centekindustries.com/install_diagrams.html (the topmost picture!)

http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/E ... tem-Basics

When you start researching wet exhaust systems you will find a lot of info about "waterlift" mufflers. These are common on sailboats but most planing/semi-planing boats do not use that type of muffler.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Thanks, Good info
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

When I pulled the mufflers from my '72, they ran slightly uphill towards the transom. The hangers were still connected but could have been stretched and made the front of the muffler drop. Many of the early runabouts used to run the copper exhaust pipe under the floor, then curve it up and run out the transom at the water line. Since most of these boats had no mufflers, this acted as a "water muffler". That's what gave those boats a unique sound.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

I have debated this myself, I have an all original setup with hangers on each end of each muffler and one is level and the other rises maybe 1/2" up to the rear, drives me nuts but not so much that I have ever changed it, just enough to make me curious about the same question. Logic says level or down to the rear which neither of mine do.... What started me wondering is I seem to flow water from one side very consistently and at a steady rate and the up in the rear muffler is mostly the same but with a bit of fill and dump like the old chris craft style of mufflers did.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

My mufflers were trashed. All the guts were gone inside so I pulled them. I love the way she sounds straight piped. I get many compliments on her "tone". Maybe when I get older I will put mufflers back in, or maybe not... :mrgreen:
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson