Ignition modules, are they all created equal in terms of quality

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
DougDoty
Tin star

Ignition modules, are they all created equal in terms of quality

Post by DougDoty »

Seems funny that my boat is 32 years old and late last season I saw what looked like the potting compound running out of one of the ign. module on port, now both are doing the same thing. I have had one engine turn off like a light switch running on top of the water and this is likely the cause. Restarted as soon as I slowed down and tried but not an ignorable item. Im in the bilge and hitting everything I can find that needs done at this time and want to replace them both with new but prices range from ebay $20 to maybe $185 or something like that, I also see 4 pin and 5 pin versions. What is the low down on these as I am not real knowledgeable on the Chrysler stuff even though I love these engines so far.

Secondly... Here is a picture of the sensors at the back of the engine, I know the big one is the gauge sensor and from the other thread I see on the forum the one with a single spade connector is the oil alarm, what is the dual spade connector one doing ?? I am assuming the oil alarm is my engine alarm system activated by the single spade one ??

1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Ignition modules, are they all created equal in terms of quality

Post by Fastjeff »

Go to AutoZone and buy two of theirs for 30 bucks (or less) apiece. They work fine, and you' get a ? month warrantee with them. Either 4 or 5 pin modules will work the same! I had one of each on mine for years.

Apparently, auto stores stocked a zillion of these things over the decades and can't get rid of them, making it a great deal for the money.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

What is that second sensor with two wires doing ? or is it the one in the series with the engine alarms Marinette installed ? If so then what is the one wire sensor ??
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
l98ycar

Post by l98ycar »

I believe the 2nd oil pressure switch keeps the alternator/generator off when the engine is not running - looking at the schematic last weekend and there is an oil pressure switch on the input to the voltage regulator.
Scott
1978 Marinette '37 Dual Cabin
440 Chryslers
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Early Mopar setups used remote alternators, and this switch was used to energize the fields. Not needed with modern alternators that have self-contained electronic regulators.

Jeff

PS: That wire is a dandy source of ignition ON power for an electric choke!
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington