carburetor rebuild

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
wmgill
Tin star

carburetor rebuild

Post by wmgill »

I have a flooding and leaking carburetor that suggests it's time to rebuild. I asked a couple people, and think that I can handle it as long as I keep track of parts and disassembly / assembly sequence. Now I wonder if the rebuild kits available at the auto parts places are OK for marine applications?
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
Twin 360 Chrysler Marines
MetalHead
Site Admin

Re: carburetor rebuild

Post by MetalHead »

Take pictures as you go and even film it if you have a video camera . Carbs are not that difficult, you just need to make sure all the little passages are clean and you use the correct rebuild kit (matching old gaskets to the new ones). I had to make one gasket in a rebuild I did once because the elcheapo rebuild kit gasket was so thin the carb would not seal on the intake. So get the best kit you can.
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
wmgill
Tin star

Post by wmgill »

I planned to take pictures anyway. I have short term memory issues from a 55 mph head on a few years back, so extra planning and precautions are the plan of the day, everyday.

The link to Mike's will insure I get marine approved parts. I'm not sure there's a difference as far as gaskets and internal parts are concerned, but now I won't have those nagging doubts.

Thanks.
HIATUS
on Lake St. Clair
32' Sedan Bridge
Twin 360 Chrysler Marines
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

If it's a quadrajet, there are a number of good sites with step wise instructions. Kens Quadrajet website was very helpful.

I rebuilt our starboard carb in about an hour, bolted it back on and she fired right up.

I do have two suggestions from my recent experience.
1) Replace the secondary vacuum pull off. It's not in the kit but costs $5. They wear out.
2) Replace the bi-metal choke spring if you have non-electric choke. The metal fatigues and does not fully open choke.

If all else fails, get in touch with Ron Spies in Grosse Ile. PM me and I can give you his number. He can rebuild quadrajets blindfolded. He explained it to me over the phone from memory. 70 years old and he remembers this stuff in detail.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Also, if it is a quadrajet, make sure you clean and seal the main well plugs with epoxy (jb weld works good, not jb kwik). Also, follow all adjustment procedures supplied with the kit, especially the secondary air valve spring. If the kit doesn't have the specs, you can check online, with one of the specialty carb shops, or if all else fails, get me the number and I can check my Rochester bible. Quads are very sensitive to adjustments which is why most people are afraid of them. Carter/Edelbrock and Holly carbs are much simpler, but do not offer the wide fuel curve that a Quad can.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson