Using external gas tank - pros / cons

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Using external gas tank - pros / cons

Post by bcassedy »

I have mulled this over for some time and thought I'd throw it "out there" and see what happens.

I have considered adding the ability of using a secured portable gas tank on the boat.

How it would be set up:
- Install a thru wall quick connect fitting in the bulkhead of the cockpit area.
- Connection would be from the secured tank's fitting to the thru wall quick connect fitting using a marine approved section of rubber fuel hose with appropriate quick connects at either end.
- The interior connection of the quick connect fitting would be permanently connected to a metal (SS / copper ?) line that is routed and secured at various points as it winds its way to a final destination in the engine compartment.
- Any potential "rub points" to be encased in a manner which would provide long lasting, but not water trapping, chafe protection.
- (this point may run afoul of acceptable practices and that's why I'm asking for input and not charging full bore into doing it... :oops: ). The distant end of the engine room run would terminate in a selector valve.
- The selector valve's input would be from 2 points - the starboard main fuel tank and the portable tank. Output would go to the genny.
Usage:
* Currently, the genny is fed by an outlet port from the starboard fuel / water separator fitting. From there it routes thru an on/off valve and then to the fuel filter/fuel pump (Westerbeke 7.0 BCG genny).
- this potential set up would allow for usage of either the main or portable tank to run the generator using the selector valve. Using the portable tank would offer the ability to adequately monitor fuel usage, and when the time came, disconnect the tank and take it to be filled.

What say the forum?

Thx,
Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: Using external gas tank - pros / cons

Post by Fastjeff »

Why not? You have to get a pretty BIG one, though.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington