One out of two ain't bad.

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

One out of two ain't bad.

Post by martindesign »

So we were running about an hour out today and lost the starboard motor. I climbed into the bilge btw: it was a bit warm in there. Lol. So no spark. Power to the coil. Pulled the cap and cranked it, nothing. After a three hour tour and docking on uno im drinking to tonight but tomorrow I'll pull the distributor. Let's play a game and guess what happened. I'm thinking pin on the dist. Gear sheared from the oil pump freezing up.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: One out of two ain't bad.

Post by Busia »

First thing I would do is change the coil if you have no spark. Very easy to see if the distributor is turning. Pull the cap and crank it over and see if the rotor goes round. Good luck, Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

I think he already confirmed that the distributor isn't spinning, did I read that correct?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Yes, thx charlie. I pulled the points plate and found a bit driver wedged in the advance weights that caused the spoon in the drive gear to shear off. typical case of previous owner stupidity. I can't blame the big m for anything. Every problem I have had was because of the negligent owner before me not the boat.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

finding tools in the distributor.......thats a new one. Perfect time for brand new distributors!!!
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's