318 spark plug wire replacement

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Seanik
Tin star

318 spark plug wire replacement

Post by Seanik »

My valve covers have been leaking oil for a long time, previous owner bandaged the problem with diapers in the bilge. The spark plug wires are routed between the valve covers and exhaust manifolds( Not center dump but straight style). It is difficult to remove valve covers with the spark plug wires wedged between. I really would like to route wires around the rear of the covers and under the exhaust manifolds. I know ford V-8 wires don't fit the distributor, Some Gm V-8 also don't fit. Any advice on what to use is truly appreciated since I am becoming frustrated searching!
P.S. To Fastjeff, You posted on this and the Chrysler engine forum to use wires with straight spark plug boots, routing wires under the exhaust manifold with straight boots seems to be awkward and 90 or 45 degree boots looks like the way to go. I may have mis-understood you on this and maybe you were referencing standard wires between the covers and manifolds. Your insight would be greatly appreciated.
as a side note. Chrysler didn't machine the head surface where the valve covers mate, looks like that surface was direct out of the casting, probably why the leakage.

Thanks again
spdracer
Tin star

Re: 318 spark plug wire replacement

Post by spdracer »

Use 301 United Marine wires. They work and fit great.
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

Fast Jeff, if you look on some of his old posts, suggested I believe, the wire set for the Crusader Big Block Chevy wires. Routed under the exhaust.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

It's a Morse #3038 wire set. Depending on which exhaust manifolds you have will determine whether you need straight or angle boots. Not sure what the cross reference #'s are for Sierra, ACCEL, or any others. Was waiting for my plug wires to give out so I could try the Chevy wires, but my engines are running great this year (knock on wood).
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

If your replacing the wires, look for an Accel or similar cut to fit wire set. Put a set on another boat a few weeks ago. Solved a wire routing problem. Enabled us to put the wires around the manifolds.

I use the MSD wire sets. They have an 8MM Street fire series that works well. Wires have a little extra length.

I had the same issue with valve cover leaks. Labeled each wire with masking tape before removal. This made reassembly easier. When installing the valve covers, I used Yamabond between the gasket and cover. RTV between the gasket and head. No leaks since.
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat