Non Chrysler Engine Options

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Non Chrysler Engine Options

Post by Leviathon »

Anyone ever veer from the standard Chrysler engines and put in something different? Just curious for some ideas on re-power. Also if you could start over would you go big blocks or small for a 32?
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tuggle
Aluminum Star

Re: Non Chrysler Engine Options

Post by Tuggle »

Researching this same subject, considering small block Chevys. What I've found is bell housings and damper plates must be changed and are readily available, imagine motor mounts also. If going with a crate engine cam's need to be swap, starter motors come to mind, intake, carbs, ignition and exhaust manifolds. All things considered, upfront, it would probably be a little bit more than a total Chrysler rebuild but with Chrysler parts becoming scarce I'm of the opinion that long haul you would come out ahead. Don't think they have cast a 318 since the early 2000's, SBC's are still in manufacture to this day.
"Deplorable", 1975 32' Express, Twin 318's, Raw Water Cooled, Lake Lanier, Ga.
Rob
Tin star

Post by Rob »

A 32 sedan on my dock has twin 350's, runs good and an old 1960 M was re-powered w a 350 also.
1973 32' FB Express
Cincinnati, Ohio
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

In a nutshell, if you need complete engines and heat exchangers/fresh water cooling, get chevy 350 engines. More power than the 318,cheaper to buy, cheaper to get parts for, and you can get parts. If your transmissions are tired, you can get new ones cheaper than overhauling your old ones. If you don't need all new pumps and everything and can get by with a 318/360 short block, that is a lot cheaper, but any parts you need are hard to find and expensive. I have 350 crusaders, it was cheaper than piecing together two new 318's. Plenty of power, 300 hp. each so I have never had them wide open. I cruise at a fast idle, 1000 rpm, and fish with one engine at idle and one off. If I had to do it again I would look at getting different transmissions that would give you the reverse rotation or not even worry about it and have two standard engines. I have 1:1 transmissions, it would be nice to have 1.5 : 1 and swing larger props. You have to draw the line somewhere, if it is a project that money is no object you have a lot more options. Most of us have to be realistic and also want it done so we can use it, so time is also a factor. Whatever your choice it will cost more than you think.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Thanks, I probably just have to look at replacing the Chrysler 360's with Chrysler 360's. They do run good, but have a billion hours on them and leak oil like crazy. I really like the idea of closed cooling systems, just makes sense to me, so am looking for that in the upgrade.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by javalin390 »

After the purchase of my 37', I purchased all the available info I could find on it, as the Chrysler Marine manuals are currently being reproduced, both service and parts manuals. I took the parts manual, and with the aid of the internet and the helpful fellows on this forum, I have converted almost every part number in the Chrysler parts manual to a modern/available part number from any number of sources. This includes the backwards camshaft for the starboard engine ( a Melling part number). The only one I can't find is a part number on the backwards crankshaft, but I seem to remember someone on the forum had a source for this too. As a professional mechanic, I can tell you it's always cheaper to fix something than it is to modify or change it, especially if you are paying a pro to do it for you !! When I did this over the first winter I owned the boat, it was fun & interesting to Google and track down all the old Chrysler parts into new parts available from NAPA, Summit Racing, Hurrikane Marine, Goodyear (belts & hoses), etc... Like a detective solving a mystery ! I wrote them down in pencil in the Chrysler manual, in case I ever had to update them. That being said, if you have the money to do a repower, go for it. As any gearhead will tell you, a 4-bolt Chevy 350 is a bulletproof powerplant and parts availability is endless. There is one of the guys in the Marinette Yacht Club that repowered from small Chryslers to big block Chevy's, with help from a Crusader employee in his 37'. Says it was the best decision he's made in the many years of ownership of his M. For me personally, I'm more thrifty (cheap) and concerned about time management (lazy), so leaving mine, as built, is the way to go. But if money was no object, twin supercharged Hemi's or 502 Chevys.........
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

If I ever repower my 32, I think I am going with Oldsmobile engines. I don't like things to be easy, apparently. I have used Olds engines in a few Chevy trucks with amazing results. I have two 403s that would be an interesting project for my boat. Or if I have a death wish, I could use a pair of 425 or 455 big blocks. I have one set of parts to marinize an Olds, and have been looking for another.

If money was no object. I would want a 42 foot version of my 32 express with twin Duramax diesels.

Now I am thinking again. Dangerous.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star