Can't get past 2000rpm

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Can't get past 2000rpm

Post by honestcharlie56 »

jralbert wrote:Forgot to mention that a dirty bottom is another prime cause of "can't get it up - itis".
Am I reading this incorrectly? Are we still talking about boats?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

"with a dirty bottom, rpms will remain the same"- Not necessarily true. That being said this isn't a bottom issue. If it were both engines would be effectively fighting the drag and most likely doing it at the "same" rpm at WOT. If one engine is spinning at 3500 and the other is not able to push past 2000, the problem is with the engine. Lack of fuel, lack of air, lack of spark (at the right time), lack of compression, etc. How do the plugs look? Condition of distributor? How far of a gap will the spark jump on the test rig? Compression test results are ok? Was there any significant difference in a wet/dry test?
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Well put! And spot on.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Me too. See if it's advancing with a light, THEN coming back to the idle set point when you throttle down.

Way too easy to time the motor with the advance stuck at the advance setting, which means it's retarded at WOT (and often causes a stall if the stubborn thing retracts at idle down).

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Not sure if this is part of it, but my distributor cap does not clamp down properly. One of the clampy things is jacked and does not hold the cap on all of the way, so its loosey goosey. Not sure if I can fix it or just need to replace. May or may not be part of the problem.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
bobv
Tin star

Post by bobv »

I also had an issue like that for my application there were two different rotors.
The rotor that was installed was hitting the cap. the correct rotor solved that issue.
Bob
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Loose cap must be fixed first. Wrong rotor or cap, or cap is not placed so the detent goes into the notch to align it.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P