Gauges

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Grimmjag2
New poster

Gauges

Post by Grimmjag2 »

I have a 400 rpm difference between my starboard and port tach. How do I check or repair my tach?
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Gauges

Post by javalin390 »

Well, you need to ask yourself a few questions first, which will require a handheld tach. Are both engines actually running at the same speed when you observe the 400 rpm difference? Does this difference occur at idle, or cruising speed? Is one tach behaving erratically (needle bouncing)? A simple hand held tune up tach should be able to be purchased at a local auto parts store.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Auto Zone may be able to lend you one.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Most Automotive dvom's have a tach setting.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

You can adjust the tachs with a tiny screw driver. A cheap test tachometer can be had for under $20. Mine will only read to 2500 rpm. Get one of the newer cordless optical/laser models with some extra reflective strips from Amazon. If the 400 rpm difference is constant you should be able to adjust the tachs.