1984 360 Head issue

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
shade2u2
Royal Aluminum Star

1984 360 Head issue

Post by shade2u2 »

I had an exhaust leak on the starboard side at the center ports. I removed the manifold- cleaned it up and put on new gaskets. It was okay for a while but the leak returned. I found that the middle-lower area at the middle ports was pitted and "eaten" away so the gasket started to blow out again. I had the manifold machined to level the surface. Now I have found the the pitting & decay issue also exists on the head itself at the middle-lower area of the center ports. I used gasket sealant (copy stuff) but I still had a leak. I'm afraid that running it will just make the decay worse.
What is the remedy? Can I removed the head and have it machined? How about high heat JB-weld? Double up the gasket?
The engine has 2,000 hrs on it. It runs good other than this. I should probably do compression tests on the engine to see what shape it is in overall. Should I rebuild or replace both heads while I'm messing with it?

John
John
1986 39 Sedan w/Crusader 454 & 1.92 drive.
former - '84 28 Express Hardtop w/single 360 1.5:1 drive (SOLD - now in Uruguay)
Ohio and Muskingum Rivers (Marietta, OH)
javalin390
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: 1984 360 Head issue

Post by javalin390 »

If you want to hold off major engine repairs for a later date, try Remflex exhaust gaskets. Go to their web site, or Summit racing carries them. They sell them for Mopar small blocks. I put a set on my 360's (twins) for the same issue, one season and no leaks yet. They are much thicker than average exhaust gaskets, with the ability to compress into some of the head/manifold's imperfections. They were originally designed to seal the imperfections of headers on race cars, but are now being made for many stock applications, and when I bought mine last year, they even were offering a set for marine exhausts and risers (for Mecruisers I think). They offer blank sheets as well, so you could cut out your own shape for a particular riser. Check 'em out, I'm a satisfied customer.
Jim Elias
1974 37' SedanFlybridge
Twin 360 Chryslers.
Marblehead, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: 1984 360 Head issue

Post by Fastjeff »

Had that same problem with the Chrysler 360 in my old R/V. (Common problem with RVs.) I eventually solved it by braze welding a built up area where the head had been scoured out. I kept adding/ sanding the bronze weld--and the depression in the head--until the manifold and head met properly to fill the gap. The gasket then 'bent' itself into the depression and sealed perfectly. Ran it for years like that without any more leakage.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington