Hydraulic steering

Engines, Shafts, Steering, Struts, Rudders, etc.
Ryan
Tin star

Hydraulic steering

Post by Ryan »

I'm thinking about switching to Hydraulic steering this year. Those who have, is it worth it? What system did you go with? What kind of price tag am I looking at if I install it myself? 32' Sedan dual station.
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Hydraulic steering

Post by honestcharlie56 »

While I've never driven a Marinette with or without it (bought my boat in July after she sank and just about half way through a refit) I can say without a doubt hydraulic is the only way to go. I've installed sea star systems on probably a hundred or more boats of different shapes and sizes and every single one I've put on has ended in a customer reaction of WOW. It truly is a night and day difference and is one of those things that spoils you, so much so that when you are at the helm of a ship/boat/whatever without it.....its seems miserable to drive it. In addition to handling the system is more versatile. Auto pilot systems are much easier to integrate. No cables to rust. However, these can rust on the inside and I would recommend flushing the system periodically, sea star had a flushing system we used on new systems to remove air. For cost, I can't help you there. If you install your self it will be much cheaper.
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's