Galley Restoration

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Galley Restoration

Postby carl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 am

If you have read any of the stand-alone topics I have written regarding the restoration of my 1990 32’ Marinette fly bridge sedan here on our forum I hope you have enjoyed them, and I hope they have been helpful to you. I’ve been hard at it bow to stern for some time now, but I’ve neglected to document any of my work in the galley, it has been my favorite area of the boat to restore to date for me and I've really had a lot of fun with it. I removed the original refrigerator, countertop and cabinet from the boat so that I could thoroughly clean the area and paint the marine plywood subfloor beneath it. Removing the cabinet gave me full access to modify the plumbing under the sink to accommodate the washer/dryer combo. I fabricated a new countertop doing away with the original electric/alcohol stove and double sink which in turn gave me a little more much needed countertop space. I was able to clean, brighten and oil the teak framework, cabinet doors and drawers before reassembly. Screwing it all back into its original position I was then able to install the new bar sink, electric stove, countertop cabinet, trim and a new teak towel bar. I’m in the process of building a new refrigerator enclosure and I will follow up with more updates and pictures as that project progresses. More to come…
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Last edited by carl on Sun May 12, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 10 times in total.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge
Twin Crusader 350's
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Galley Restoration

Postby carl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:07 am

The countertop required a new piece of marine plywood. I used the old countertop as a template to trace and cut the new one. I cut out the holes for the sink and stove, a local cabinet maker applied the Formica laminate for me. The sink is a single basin bar sink "Franke" brand and the stove is a "Kenyon". The sink may appear to be too small but it suits me just fine, no issues getting my biggest pot in it to wash.
Attachments
C4.JPG
C3.JPG
C2.JPG
C1.JPG
Last edited by carl on Sat May 11, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Twin Crusader 350's

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am

I'm in the process of fabricating the enclosure for my refrigerator. I'm using dimensional poplar wood to frame it out. It's currently in its rough state and I will have more to share as I move forward with it...
Attachments
E5.JPG
E4.JPG
E3.JPG
E2.JPG
E1.JPG
Last edited by carl on Sat May 11, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twin Crusader 350's

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:25 am

The washer/dryer combination is a "Splendide" brand made in Italy and is often found in apartments and homes in Europe as well as RVs and boats here in the USA. It can be purchased from Camping World and is often on sale https://www.campingworld.com/splendide- ... de&start=4 It does require a through hull vent that you need to be very careful and deliberate about when installing. This installation was made a little easier with the galley cabinet removed from the boat but you can install one with the cabinet in place by removing the original fridge and retrofitting your plumbing under the sink. It is 120 volts and I have it plugged into the original outlet that was previously dedicated to the original refrigerator. When I had my new 120 volt circuit breaker panel fabricated I dedicated a breaker position for the washer/dryer. The plumbing was simple as you can tee off of the hot and cold water lines as well as the drain which are all readily available to you under the galley sink.
Attachments
W11.JPG
W12.JPG
Last edited by carl on Sat May 11, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twin Crusader 350's

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:32 am

I found that iboats.com offers some really nice teak products from Thailand. I installed a teak pin-rail around my countertop cabinet to finish that off as well as a teak rack that suited me well. Available here:

https://www.iboats.com/shop/teak-pinrai ... 15819.html

https://www.iboats.com/shop/teak-dish-r ... 15837.html
Attachments
T1.JPG
T2.JPG
Twin Crusader 350's

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Mon May 06, 2019 4:59 pm

Framing complete on my new refrigerator cabinet. I was able to build in a small shadowbox out of teak for salt and pepper shakers near stove. Tomorrow I will wire the 120v and 12v circuits up into the cabinet and start planking it out. More to come...
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Twin Crusader 350's

jralbert
Site Admin

Postby jralbert » Tue May 07, 2019 2:33 pm

The work of a master craftsman!
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Fri May 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Lots of progress today on the refrigerator cabinet. Wired both circuits AC and DC. Planked out the rough frame. Installed the main air conditioning duct, plenum box and diffuser grill. Installed and secured the fridge. I still need to make a pair of sliding doors for the cabinet below the fridge, I will mimic the ones on the countertop behind the sink. I will then proceed with the trim work which should finish it off nicely. My replacement refrigerator of choice is an Isotherm Stainless Steel CR130D "Drink Only". This particular model has no freezer section which I prefer. I had to special order this unit with the door hinged on the left so that it could be opened as seen in the pictures making it accessible from the galley as well as from the salon without having to go down the three steps, very convenient from both levels now. Don't let the name "Drink Only" fool you, it's as cold as you need it to be. More to come...
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Last edited by carl on Sun May 12, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twin Crusader 350's

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Sun May 12, 2019 8:06 pm

A little more work on the fridge cabinet completed today. Installed the teak louvered door on the backside to meet the ventilation requirements. Getting set up to do all of the final trim work next.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
Twin Crusader 350's

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Postby carl » Mon May 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Fabricated sliding cabinet door tracks out of teak for the cabinet storage under my fridge. Two black acrylic panels with stick on finger pulls installed to mimic the sliders behind the kitchen sink in the galley. I still need to trim it all out with teak molding to finish it off. I will be using aluminum molding at the stove side due to the heat concerns. More to come as I finish it all up...
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
Twin Crusader 350's