Bathroom & Plumbing System

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Bathroom & Plumbing System

Post by Tranquilo »

Does anyone have a basic schematic of how the toilet system works?

I have a 28ft 73, that I just bought and I see the toilet fills (manual pump) but doesn't go anywhere (namely the tank..)

I tried the different lever positions on the Jacobson toilet but it seems only to draw in. I found some switches that connect to the old evac/discharge motor but I just get a strange "clunking" rhythm when those are turned on.

I killed an hour trying to figure it out. Old owner died and my marina doesn't know anything about these systems (not sure how thats possible)

Any tips? Should I replace the toilet?
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
yooper
Aluminum Star

Re: Bathroom & Plumbing System

Post by yooper »

I have two systems. My 1988 has a toilet with a built in 9 gal tank. It is fed from the water system. It has two outlet hoses. One to a macerator pump. Another small hose to an overflow connection in the hull. The macerator pump grinds up the stuff in the toilet tank and discharges through a hose into the top of a 20 gallon holding tank. There are two outlets from the holding tank. A large pump out hose is routed from the bottom up to the deck to a pumpout fitting. A small overflow hose is routed near the top of the tank and tees into the other overflow connection to the side of the hull. This system is legal because it uses a holding tank.

My 1980 is not legal. It does not have the holding tank. The macerator pump discharges overboard. There is a tee before the pump to a pumpout fitting on the deck. You need to look a some other boats to fully understand toilet system and use google to find some diagrams.
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Post by Roger2 »

I don't think it's legal.
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Thanks for the reply!

Mine has a tank and the old crap-shooter.

I guess my issue is that the toilet will draw liquid in but not send it back into the tank. It just keeps filling up with water.

My only thought is that its a toilet pump issue or massive clog. The boat has been sitting for years and have no clue about when it was used last (maybe 10 years..)

The electric "clicking" is what threw me off
Miami FL & Catawba OH
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Tranquilo wrote:. I found some switches that connect to the old evac/discharge motor but I just get a strange "clunking" rhythm when those are turned on.
That clunking may be a malfunctioning macerator (your evac/discharge motor) trying to turn. These systems are usually pretty straight-forward. Either they use the macerator pump to send waste overboard (not legal) or the waste drains into a holding tank for later dockside pumpout. Sometimes, the macerator is rigged to feed waste into the holding tank.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Cool - thanks
Miami FL & Catawba OH
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Tranquilo
After 10 years sitting it would be a good idea to rebuild head. You can get parts breakdowns on line. Should be a name somewhere. The holding tank is most likely dried *** and the joker yalve i'm sure needs replacing. Joker yalve is a rubber diraphm with a slit in it to let crud out but not alow it to back up. Much easyer working on it on a work bench than trying to do it in the boat.
My 2 cents, Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

If you have an original aluminum holding tank get rid of it. Uric acid eats right through it. Also use clean water to test an old or rebuilt system.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Thanks for the tips! I'll go out there tomorrow evening and pull it out (thankfully it hasn't been used in a while:) )
Miami FL & Catawba OH
Vtnurse2004
New poster

Post by Vtnurse2004 »

Has anyone replaced their holding tank? We have a 1989 Marinette 37 ft. The tank has rotted out and leaks into the bilge. To take it out our guy is talking he will have to remove hot water heater and water tank just to get at it...? Anyone have diagram of this type of boat and size of holding tank? Any suggestions?