I Moved my black water tank in the Vee berth!!

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
Jeepmanking
Tin star

I Moved my black water tank in the Vee berth!!

Post by Jeepmanking »

I moved my tank to gain access for more storage or another fresh water tank. I also explain how my system is setup to help someone if needed.
#fitforakingboatadventures

https://youtu.be/zGHNNW2BO7Y
Aaron King
Vessel Name- Fit For A King
1987 Marinette 32 FB Twin 318’s 525 Hours
Westerbeke 8.5 KW generator 674 hours
Metropolis,IL
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: I Moved my black water tank in the Vee berth!!

Post by jralbert »

Nice video. good luck with the installation. Question: where is it legal to pump waste directly o'board as you discussed a couple of times in t he video?
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Jeepmanking
Tin star

Post by Jeepmanking »

On the ocean 3 nautical miles off the coast
Aaron King
Metropolis,IL
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

That's what the cruise ships do, and they have a floating city onboard.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Here's what Royal Caribbean says about waste disposal (note they didn';t explain bilge water)

"...Cruise ships have a water-treatment system onboard, similar to your hometown. With over 7,000 passengers and crew, Symphony of the Seas generates 210,000 gallons of black water and one million gallons of grey water during a one week cruise.
All the wastewater onboard is collected and absolutely nothing goes overboard unless it is first run through a treatment plant.
Water is divided into three categories:
Grey water: sinks, laundries, and drains
Black water: galleys and toilets
Bilge water: oils released from equipment in engine compartments that collect at the bottom of the vessel.
Wastewater is run through the advanced wastewater-purification plant on the ship, which is above the US federal standard for purified water.

When black water enters the integrated treatment system, it first passes into a bioreactor ‘aeration chamber’ which is filled with bacteria that break down organic contaminants dissolved in the wastewater.

The sewage then enters a membrane filtration system to further filter impurities. In the ‘settlement chamber’, dense substances sink to the bottom and the water floats to the top. The residual sludgy material is repeatedly returned for reprocessing. At the end of the cycles the remaining material is disposed of in low-emission incinerators.

Finally, the clean sewage enters the ‘disinfection chamber’ where any remaining pathogens are sterilized by UV radiation. This leaves clean, safe and bacteria-free water, which is transferred to a storage tank until it can be discharged.

Believe it or not, this water is near tap-water quality. The water is either kept on board or discharged overboard when the cruise ship is at sea with a certain distance from land in order to meet the different local and international regulations. The ability to discharge water depends on where the ship is located, as some oceans and areas prohibit the practice.

Grey water can be discharged far out to sea after minimal treatment because it rarely includes harmful bacteria. Just like black water, it can only be discharged at sea in areas that are not designated environmentally sensitive regions...."

(Note also this is one cruise line reporting)
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

They get caught falsifying records and breaking environmental laws every summer in Alaska. I've seen the sludge behind the cruise ships leave a trail as far as you can see. Next time I will notify the Coast Guard, I have a private number I can call on my cell phone just for this.
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Busia wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:04 pm They get caught falsifying records and breaking environmental laws every summer in Alaska. I've seen the sludge behind the cruise ships leave a trail as far as you can see. Next time I will notify the Coast Guard, I have a private number I can call on my cell phone just for this.
And, if you can, shoot some video to document. As always, citizen reports are the best crime stoppers
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Jeepmanking
Tin star

Post by Jeepmanking »

If you simply look up Us Coast Guard regs you will understand what is legal or not.
Aaron King
Metropolis,IL
Jeepmanking
Tin star

Post by Jeepmanking »

What are the sewage discharge regulations/requirements in the United States?
• Section 312 of the Clean Water Act requires the use of operable, U.S. Coast Guard-certified marine sanitation devices (MSDs) onboard vessels that are equipped with installed toilets and operating on U.S. navigable waters.
• Untreated sewage discharges are prohibited within three miles from shore.
• In order to discharge within three miles, sewage must be treated using a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Type I or Type II MSD. Alternatively, sewage may be stored onboard in a holding tank (Type III MSD).
• Treated and untreated sewage discharges are prohibited in:
• Freshwater lakes, reservoirs and other freshwater impoundments whole inlets or outlets are such as to prevent the ingress or egress by vessel traffic.
• Rivers not capable of navigation by interstate vessel traffic.
• No-discharge zones (NDZs) (as applicable).
• In these areas, sewage effluent generally must be retained onboard in a holding tank (Type III MSD). Operators of vessels equipped with flow-through MSDs (Type I or Type Il) must secure the device to prevent overboard discharge.
• Visit the No-Discharge Zones (NDZs) by.
State
Aaron King
Metropolis,IL
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Jeepmanking wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:26 pm• In these areas, sewage effluent GENERALLY must be retained onboard in a holding tank (Type III MSD)
talk about a loophole....
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD