paint on the wall paper?

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
ukester
Tin star

paint on the wall paper?

Post by ukester »

any one try to paint the dingy{after almost 30 years} wall paper that covers most of the inside walls on our Marinettes? I have cleaned and they still look dirty, my other thought was to peel that off but really thought better of it. there isn't much left in my inside after taking the ceiling down and ALL the wood work so what the heck.

Thanks Mark
mark ucakar
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Re: paint on the wall paper?

Post by ericinga »

Mark-

The Nautilex covering on the hull panels did not clean up on our boat. There were strange blue stains all over the panels. We tried everything to clean them and nothing touched the stains. Pulling the Nautilex off did not work. The covering pulled multiple layers of luan plywood with them.

Ultimately, I pulled the panels out and replaced them with 1/4" oak paneling.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I pulled out all the old panels and used them for patterns for new ones. I peeled the covering off the bulkheads and put up wainscoating. I replaced the bulkhead between the head and the galley using the old one for a pattern. It was lots of work. If I had it to do over again, I'd use plastic panels instead of plywood.

Good luck.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
ukester
Tin star

Post by ukester »

well I will be priming and painting mine-hope all goes well.
mark ucakar
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Use oil base primer and paint.Latex will cause the wall paper glue to let go. Get the primer tented to the color paint you are using for better coverage and faster job. Post pics when you finish.
:mrgreen:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

The Admiral repainted the entire interior. Came out great! She used standard water-based paint.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

There are paints designed to go over vinyl. How else could people reasonably cover the wallpaper they've tired of in the bathroom? Your paint store can guide you. If I were doing the project, I'd do what Jeff did and use the time saved (not to mention dollars) to go fishing.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD