Spray foam insulation

Fresh & Waste Water Systems, Climate Control, etc.
MarinetteBud
Tin star

Spray foam insulation

Post by MarinetteBud »

I wondered if anyone has used a two part urethane closed cell spray foam insulation in the walls and cabin ceiling area. It seems to me it would be a great way to prevent sweating and condensation behind the cover panels. I would not attempt to spray any in the bilge area or any area that is visible.
All 3 of my Marinettes had while block foam laying inside the walls, ceiling, and some in the bilge area. None of the blocks were cut to size or "tight fitting"....so I thought spraying foam would seal the entire surface and keep moisture away from the metal and eliminate condensation.
ukester
Tin star

Re: Spray foam insulation

Post by ukester »

sprayed the ceiling throuhout the entire boat-very very messy but it did the job
mark ucakar
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

a) some spray foams will absorb and hold moisture so if you do it, make sure you use a foam that is dense enough to repel water - check the Loctite and Great Foam customer support people. b) there 's a highly regarded and relatively inexpensive product called Reflectix that other Masrinette owners have successfully used. Closed air cells (like packing bubbles) plus a heat reflecting surface are the key construction items for this product. Easy to use. It has the advantage of being removable so if you ever need access to the space to say, run wires, pipes, you can do it without cutting chunks of hard foam. It also gives you visibility when you need it to spot corrosion problems.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Having spent many nights on mine--summer and winter--I can attest that aluminum boats are great conductors of heat and need all the insulation they can get!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Brucew633
New poster

Post by Brucew633 »

I have checked with the manufacturer of Lizard skin for automotive industry. They have a marine industry also . The website is mascoat.com. The product is designed for the marine environment. They have bath sound proof and insulation products. Price is comparable to n the expanding foam.
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

Lizard skin is good stuff! We use it in alot of builds.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh