AC wire ? Water heater replacement?

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
ukester
Tin star

Re: AC wire ? Water heater replacement?

Post by ukester »

would still like to know what others have replaced for there bathroom and I believe bedroom wire that comes from the swith to the lights-I have not taken down the ceiling yet but would like to know what someone else did because those wires to the switches do not look heavy duty enough.
side note I installed my water heater under the kitchen sink.
mark ucakar
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Correct me if I missed this...

I believe you said that the Gen. is a 6KW (6,000 watts) And it is setup for a 220 VAC feed to your panel.

1. two legs= 3,000 watts per leg...... = 27 AMPs Per leg.

12 AWG is rated for 20 AMP service (too small for this application) 2,200 Watts

2. 10 AWG which is rated for 30 Amps = 3,300 Watts per leg

Do not exceed more than 3000 watts per 110 circuit total on either leg. (Example: Stove, Microwave, Water heater should not be on same leg.
Remember that you are computing length based on total round trip. All leads Back, Red, White must be at least 10 AUG going into the main panel.

Now if you ran only 110 volt single leg to the panel then your wire gauge must be large enough to handle the entire load of 6,000 watts. You would need a minimum of 6 AWG wire for each lead.

The longer the round trip to your main panel to your generator the larger the gauge wire you will need. Most of the time on a boat the distance is not great from Gen. to panel.

Personal note I would run 8 AWG from Gen. to panel on each leg to added margin of safety.

With that setup (220VAC) and since you have a houseboat... U could in theory install a 220 volt heat pump which would cool and heat your BIG M

Safe Boating,

Dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

To use the 6KW of this gen. you will have to have a multi-phase panel (breaker box) . My understanding is most of the boats and shore power outlets are single phase. So you may have to change the panel and you may not be able to get 220 or 208 volt AC from shore power so you would only be able to use the other phase when running the gen.--Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P