Battery ground to hull?

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Battery ground to hull?

Post by Tranquilo »

Made it out to the boat this weekend and cleaned all the super corroded connections. I have to replace a ton of components because of snapped or disintegrated terminals.

Question: After disassembling the ground system to clean, I see that the battery only grounds to the engine block.

There are a few circuit ground wires running to the engine block but not directly to the battery.

An old car guy told me that cars of that vintage always grounded to the block. But the resistance could be causing problems and maybe the engine rusts as bad as it does because of the return?

Is this correct? There is no hull ground either (I see one white wire (12gage) screwed into the frame but that is it.

I see the bulk head ground instructions above but hesitated when I read that if currents run back through the hull, it makes corrosion really bad.

Should I still run cables to the bulk head?

Thanks,
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Quick note for those who's Capac systems are on the defunct side :-\ .....

Fast Jeff's notation on how to make a Capac test meter system lists a 70.00 cost (and Barkley Dave answered the unspoken question of "where to get the probe" immediately afterwards. :-) )

Boat Zincs does carry the Corrosion Reference Electrode (probe) but it's now listed at 124.89.
Another source, at close to the $70 noted cost is at Salty Doggs. http://www.shop.saltydoggs.com/Referenc ... ode_c4.htm . Cost 75.00.
A complete kit (they've done the assembly for you) is also available at Salty Doggs for 299.99 .

Bill
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Batteries should have Neg. connected directly to the forward bulkhead lug. There should be a ground wire going up to your DC ground buss bar.
Engine(s) will also have Neg. ground from battery to engine. It is important to have a good engine to battery Neg. connection. Remember... just starting and engine requires very high amp. draw. Ignitions require clean source of DC. High resistance circuits from poor connections and grounds will cause all kinds of running problems.

There are lots of posts covering this topic.

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

Thank you so much. I'll post pictures.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive