VHF will transmit but I can't hear anyone

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Maestro
Aluminum Star

VHF will transmit but I can't hear anyone

Post by Maestro »

I have a Uniden Solara fixed-mount VHF radio. It has worked flawlessly since I installed a new Shakespeare antenna 3 years ago.

Now all the sudden, when I turn it on, it lights up but does not make any sounds. I can transmit and others can hear me, but I cannot hear anything back regardless of my vol/squelch settings, etc. NOAA weather channel not doing anything either. It used to beep when I would press buttons to change channel, etc.

Thinking the speaker on the thing is just dead? Any way to fix this or just toss it and get a new one? Sad how few things are fix-able anymore...

Luckily I keep a backup handheld VHF on board...highly recommend this to all!
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: VHF will transmit but I can't hear anyone

Post by barkleydave »

My first 12 channel crystal controlled VHF marine radio cost me over 500 bucks in the 70's!

A radio like yours is under $100 bucks and will include DSC feature if you wish to sign up for it and connect to a GPS.

Dump it!

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Relatively easy way to make a quick test if you can remove the case and see the speaker connection: Just clip a cheap spkr to the existing leads and see if there's audio. If not, it's a circuit issue and a quick call to the mfr can tell you whether repair is feasible.

Also, if the unit has a connection for an external spkr, try connecting one to that output.

Of course, the advice to get a new one is worth considering because of the new DSC feature would could bail you out of a bad situation one day.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

Thanks for the feedback! I am liking the idea of plugging the new DSC into the GPS...just purchased a new Garmin last year so the two would probably go together nicely.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI