Starting challenges

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Starting challenges

Post by Leviathon »

Starts with the screwdriver trick, but not the ignition switch - just a click. Oh, starter/solenoid are an hour old.

S
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
hightension
Tin star

Re: Starting challenges

Post by hightension »

Is it grounded good
Rodney Hack
Louisville,Ky
1975 32' sedan flybridgehttp://www.marinetteboat.com/forum/ucp.php?i=u ... =signature#
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

Well, figured it out. 45 years was enough for the wire that goes from the "I" on the ignition switch to the "S" on the starter. After replacing the starter, ignition switch, battery cables, moving the ground 100 times, I finally ran a new wire from the ignition switch on the bridge to the starter and that was the ticket. Would start about 30-40 percent of the time, otherwise just a click. Fun!!!!!!
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Excellent info for others facing same problem. I recall Jeff Perry once writing here years ago -- look for the simple stuff first. Actually this wasn't "simple" - rather a case of apparently hidden bad wire
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

And I never found the SOB that caused Mr. Port to do that crap now and then, usually after the boat sat a week or so.

Changed EVERYTHING in sight, doubled up in the wires coming from the ignition switch, changed the ignition switch, even added relays at the starter to eliminate any possibility of low voltage. And.... No luck.

So...I'm not the one to ask for help here.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Wardog
New poster

Post by Wardog »

Having same issues with port engine. Turn switch. Nothing..then turn 3 or 4 more times it will crank..getting worse. Im thinking relay. Battery has charge..put tester on relay have 12 volts..any advice.

Wardog
1968 32ft Marinette
Two 318. 225hp..
Goosepond. Ala
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I installed a relay to send 12 volts right off the battery to the solenoid, and that seemed to work. (Never completely cured the problem, however.)

Please let me know if you stumble onto what's causing this and I'll happily buy you supper in your favorite restaurant!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

I found in 48 years of equipment business that the first things that fail, involve movement and friction, (switch). if you run a jumper wire from the hot post on switch to the start post (usually masked with a S), if it cranks it is the switch. You will also have to have power to the run post for it to run.
When you have current ,plus moisture plus air, you will have corrosion. That is that green fuzzy stuff you see on your battery terminal. You can help he switch by spraying contact cleaner in the switch and using dielectric grease in the key hole. Just my 2 cents.Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by GB49 »

For those with toggle ignition switches I replaced my lower helm toggles this past summer. Port engine cranking was delayed by a couple seconds. After the switch was exercised it would usually crank immediately. New toggles solved the problems. Bought them from link below. They are also available on Amazon for a few more $$.

20Amp Ignition Toggle

-Karl
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
Wardog
New poster

Post by Wardog »

After doin some home work..im goin to replace starter relay..i have a parts engine. Have alot of extra parts for 318..il let you know if that is the fix..

Wardog
68 Marinette
318 Chrysler 225hp
Goosepond Ala