Help! Scentry 410 Vapor Sensor

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Studini
Tin star

Help! Scentry 410 Vapor Sensor

Post by Studini »

So I'm not sure if I've turned the switch on before but apparently I did last night as we woke up with the Explosion light and alarm going off. The power button or test button do not work on the unit so I'm not sure it even works. BUT I did fill up yesterday but could not smell any gas when I opened the engine hatches and after airing everything out the alarm still continued. Anyone know how this is supposed to operate or have suggestion?
88 32’ Fisherman
“Get Busy Livin”
Twin 360’s
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Help! Scentry 410 Vapor Sensor

Post by jralbert »

I tried to help by searching for a manual online - no luck. If it's a CO detector, you wouldn't smell fumes since CO is odorless. If it's gasoline vapor detector your fillup might explain the alarm but it should have turned off when you aired out the boat. If I were in charge, I'd replace it -maybe try to check with mfr first- because fumes are nothing to mess with. UPDATE: ANother google search indicates this is an Aqua Meter product most likely long discontinued. Maybe Aqua Meter is kaput also.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

I tried to help by searching for a manual online - no luck. If the gas is CO, you wouldn't smell fumes since CO is odorless. If it's a gasoline vapor detector your fillup might explain the alarm but it should have turned off when you aired out the boat. If I were in charge, I'd replace it -maybe try to check with mfr first- because fumes are nothing to mess with. UPDATE: Another google search indicates this is an Aqua Meter product most likely long discontinued. Maybe Aqua Meter is kaput also.
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Those sensors have a tough life 'down there' and need replacement every few years.

I had JUST replaced mine when, and we were just out of the marina when the fool thing went off. "Nuisance trip," I snorted and opened the hatch just to be sure. Holy crap! Fuel was shooting out of my brand new fuel pump (from a bad weld) and threatening to blow us up! (This was a 32 sedan, and we were standing over the bomb.) Needless to say I replaced the sensor every few years, and tested it every spring.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Studini
Tin star

Post by Studini »

Fastjeff where was the sensor located at in the bilge??
88 32’ Fisherman
“Get Busy Livin”
Twin 360’s
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

About 6 inches above the bottom. Nasty place!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Do not depend on the test button on the monitor... it only tests the head not the sensor!
Check every season. Place sensor low in the bilge but high enough where it will not get wet. They do not do well when submerged.

Test the sensor with a butane lighter (Not Lit)

Flick your lighter outside in the clear and blow out the flame and keep the button pressed.
Put under sensor and it should set off alarm in a few seconds. If not failed and replace!
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Studini
Tin star

Post by Studini »

Anyone know where I can get a new sensor?
88 32’ Fisherman
“Get Busy Livin”
Twin 360’s
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Got mine at West Marine.

Jeff
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=fume%20detector

(cheaper elsewhere such as Amazon)

you need a fume (gasoline vapor) detector down below and a CO detector above. Whatever the price they are CHEAP because...you know why
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD