Batteries and Chargers

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Batteries and Chargers

Post by Trowerpower »

I have a 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge that I purchased almost two years and we totally enjoy it. However, we have had our share of issues with batteries being drained of their juice from use. I replaced all three batteries that were in it thinking I was good for a while. We moved the boat to Lake Norris from Scottsboro, Al. in July 2013 and began using the boat. All was good until we started anchoring in coves and staying at friends docks all weekend disconnectred from shore power so the charger was not working unless the generator was running. To make a long story short, we ended up replacing the "house battery" with four "Full River" AGM batteries that were six volt and hooked them up in series and parallel. After lots of investigating, turning switches on and off we realized everything but the navigation equipment was hooked to this battery system. I also went to a Pronautic 50 AMP battery charger to do our charging. so now, we have aprox. 670 AH for the "house" battery. This battery system also serves the starboard engine. The starboard automotive style battery serves the generator only. I also sat down and guestimated the total amperage of usage of all 12 volt equipment and I was shocked at the toatal amp load of aprox 80 AMPS if everything was on at the same time. The lectra-san (which is not hooked to the head anymore) draws 22 AMPS when it runs and our winless draws 35 AMPS when it is running. This is on my list to disconnect the lectra-san electricaly as we have a holding tank.The winless is typical only used when the engines are running so that load should be covered by the alternator. The "FULL River" batteries come with a two year total replacement if there is an issue and they are prorated up to five years. These are the only batteries I was able to find with a warranty like this and that would fit in our bilge. Most are like three months. we installed this equipment in November 2014 so I will post an update next season as we start using the boat again. wish us luck! :)
Trower Power
1987 32ft Marinette Sedan Flybridge
Blue Sky
twin 392 Chrysler Stroker Motors
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
Roger2
Aluminum Star

Re: Batteries and Chargers

Post by Roger2 »

Trowerpower,
2 things I would point out:'
1. You have listed running amps for windless & other items, STARTING amps are from 6-10 times running amps. You also didn't mention a refrigerator?
2. I've found that on my boat the instrument lights are on all the time, even if turned down low, still on, unless battery disconnect switches are turned off.
My port batteries are my house batteries; I have diesels so they are 8 D's. this is enough to run boat all night with a voltage drop of 1 volt, ( inverter alarm at 11 volts)
I think you are greatly under estimating your load. Just a guess.

Roger
"Sea Jay" a 37' Double cabin with twin factory Volvo diesels, 230 HP each. Twin Disk 1.54 Trans turning DynaQuad 19X21 props.
Roger Brown
Petersburg, IL
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Hey Roger! I did not include cranking load. I only took the steady load in the house. I did consider the refrigerator. I also did not mention our stereo that has a 400 watt amp driving interior speakers an a 800 watt amp driving exterior speakers. So the battery I had on the house draw was only 55 ah. I replaced it with a 4d battery that had 20th and we killed it too. Please note, it was not connected to an engine alternator so it was totally reliant on the charger. I solved that by connecting the starboard battery (+ to+) to the house battery. I tried to upload a photo but it was too big.
Trower Power
Blue Sky
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set
bcassedy
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bcassedy »

Rather than have the positive terminals hard wired together you may want to consider a battery isolator or a manual battery switch ( http://www.amazon.com/Perko-8501DP-Mari ... B00144B6AE ). Would give you flexibility of what battery is being used and/or provide extra house power if needed, but potentially leave you with a good battery to start engine.
Bill & Sharon Cassedy
"Sunset Seeker"
'88 32' Sedan Bridge to be sold (updtd 1-1-22)
"Sunset Seeker Too" (SS2)
'88 41' Marquis hardtop. (as of 1/1/22)
Located in Aurora, In.
Always fresh water.
Trowerpower
Aluminum Star

Post by Trowerpower »

Hey Bill!
Good point!
I have three of them in a cabinet mounted in the main salon console. The boat came with them I believe when it was built.
I considered isolators but if I pay attention I can prevent that from happening. I have a battery condition remote panel that was an accessory to the charger. I mounted it next to my steps. I do have a parallel switch at the console. I have found that our Chrysler Ignition do not like low power!

Thanks for your comments. I hate dead batteries! Always something to learn about our boats!
Trower Power
Blue Sky
Performance Distributors
750 Edlebrocks
fresh water cooled
1.5 to 1 velva-drives
Onan 6.5kw gen set