No cable TV at my slip

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
GB49
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: No cable TV at my slip

Post by GB49 »

Check the DVD player manufacturer site to see what formats it supports. Generally youtube recorded videos are "flv" format. You will most likely need to convert to the uncompressed "avi" format which most DVD players can decode.
Try a sample format and see what happens.

Also, record your DVDs at a slow speed, 2x or 4x. The faster a disk burn the more read problems you may have.
1986 Sedan 32'. Twin Chrysler 360in^3, 275hp.
Forum member since 1998.
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

Will my DVD player play the stuff I record (off the PC)?

I think you will have to carry your laptop to the boat and hook it to your TV. I have researched recording to DVD and it is way too complicated for me. Good luck on that! Let us know how you work it out.

:geek:
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil & wires
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

:mrgreen:
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

I could do that, though I'll have to send the picture to my TV--no way I'll watch that crappy, hard to see (in daylight) laptop screen.

Thanks all for the help.

Jeff

PS: I also use my laptop for a GPS--a HUGE colored screen without spending thousands of $$. The idea came from here, by the way.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

That is what I'm saying. Record to your laptop via windows media center and silicon dust tuner. Hook up laptop via HDMI cable, if you have them on the computer and TV. If not you will need some type of RCA converter cable plus a long 3.5mm audio cable. You could use a desktop computer hooked into your home tv as well.
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8

jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

a modern laptop often has a DVI or VGA output that can feed a TV capable of accepting it. If not, find out what display output connections you have on the laptop and input connections on the TV and do a search for the correct interface )probably VGA with an older TV). Agree that you would lose your sight and mind trying to watch a laptop screen on the boat in daytime. If you have good wifi at the dock, you could stream to the laptop/tv setup. But the kink here is that you may have to pay for a movie service such as Netflix. Or get On Demand (fee) service from your cable provider. I am not familiar with the free or pirated choices. I thought of another option IF YOU HAVE WIFI at the dock- Slingbox, a gizzie that allows you to watch remotely what your cable box sees at home (and control the box remotely). You can google that also.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Sure gonna try all this! My 'boat' laptop is an older one--it's still got XP on it--so I'm not sure if it will be 'agreeable'. But there's plenty more out there.

Thanks again, all.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
tundrarules
Aluminum Star

Post by tundrarules »

FYI
DVR for over the air recording. Jeff I know you are looking for something for cable tv recording. This is FYI for those that have dumped the cable pig.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J05 ... UTF8&psc=1

Something else cool I ran across for RV and marine people that want to boost 4G cell phone data signals. Read reviews...interesting, but pricey. If you worked from a boat, RV etc, the price would be worth it.
http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronic ... op?ie=UTF8

De-winterized this past weekend!!! 75 and sunny :D Boat ran better than ever! Sorry my Northern friends... :ugeek:

BigM
1985 29 Sedan
Edelbrock 1409 carbs
Mallory distributors
780 hrs/eng
TN River, MM 213.8