Pertronix Distributor Test

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
barkleydave
Site Admin

Re: Pertronix Distributor Test

Post by barkleydave »

Mine is pretty much on center. Also noticed one plug wire hole is black so obviously some major arching.

Now the other engine which has same prototype setup looks much better. Do not have the spot welding on the electrodes. Maybe just the rotor was out of spec.? Waiting for replacement Cap and Rotor for test.

I also need to check the Ohms on the spark plug wires. I also suspect one of the wires might have a break. Will report findings soon.
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Received replacement Rotor and Cap from Pertronix. The replacement cap is a different color and while it looks the same they are suppose to be improved. Same with Rotor, but have not measured it yet. We shall see how they look after a couple of months.

safe boating
dave
Retired USCG Captain
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

New Rotor on Right
New Rotor on Right
Rotor on the Right is the re-designed on. Instead of a rivet there is not a screw. Also notice the different style of pickup spring and different shape of the rotor contact.

New Designed Cap 617.jpg
New Designed Cap 617.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
New Cap.
STBD engine 5th Season
STBD engine 5th Season
Dist. 6 17 5th season.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
Latest photo of Dist. on Port engine (Picture is named wrong... senior moment)

Both engines started from cold starts quickly. Smooth idle and no missing or hesitation all the way up to WOT (Which is around 3,300 rpms with my loaded boat with slightly over pitched props.

Just a reminder I am receiving NO compensation (other than the units) for testing. I am not endorsing the product but merely reporting my findings and experience working with Pertronix Engineer. Wether you like or dislike the product is by all means your personal choice.

Enjoy your season!

safe boating,

dave
5th Season Port Engine
5th Season Port Engine
Retired USCG Captain