Sleepless nights over my VHF Radio

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Ryan
Tin star

Re: Sleepless nights over my VHF Radio

Post by Ryan »

I have owned the boat for almost 2 years now and the radio has never worked for me. I spent all last season messing with it and have never been able to receive (not even weather) or transmit. The radio is only 4 years old so I hate to replace it (same model is about $800). I have been boating my whole life and am pretty good with electronics but this thing is driving me nuts! I called Uniden and they will check it out if I ship it to them and pay about $125 an hour for them to mess with it... I'm going to try again to hook up a new antenna and cable to it and hope for the best. It's in a metal storage building now so I won't be able to test it until I splash in late April. THANKS FOR THE HELP, you guys are great!
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360's
Cleveland, Ohio
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

If it lights up and your not in the PA mode, turn on WX mode, adjust squelch and volume. Any wire or coat hanger should work. Can you change channels ? Does it make any noise at all ? Did you Google Operation Manual or request from Uniden ?
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River
newendeavor
Tin star

Post by newendeavor »

You know you can buy a new Radio for $100-200 ?
New Endeavor
1991 41ft Aft Cabin
Louisville,Ohio River
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Ryan: sorry to hear you continue to have a problem, of course. You did throw us a bit of curve, though when you posted:

"... I have a Uniden VHF radio mounted above my lower helm in my 32 Sedan and I can not get it to transmit. I have replaced the antenna, tried to hard wire it directly to the battery, and checked all the grounds. I even purchased a new radio and wired it in to the power supply and new antenna and it did not work. I'm unable to receive or send out on it.."

You reference having acquired a new radio but the latest post talks about an ongoing four-year problem which is why Uniden isn't treating it like a unit under or even nearly under warranty. It isn't clear whether both old/new radios are faulty. Your frustration is quite understandable and giving it another shot in the spring will get us all back on the track in efforts to assist.
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
MyWay
Tin star

Post by MyWay »

Do you have one radio on bridg and one at the lower helm?
MyWay ( grandpa bought it and named it
Just trying to get it to a 4th generation)
32 SFB Holland,MI
TWIN 318's
Currently in Aurora Indiana
Lighthouse Point Yacht Club