Corrosion Question

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Boatin2
Tin star

Corrosion Question

Post by Boatin2 »

When we went up to do the bottom paint last weekend I noticed quite a bit more corrosion than I previously had seen. It was all on the port side from the area under the batteries forward to the front. The previous owner had started a lot of "upgrades" at the same time, some of the wiring being one of them. I have everything hooked back up and working but I am not sure what the best way is to find my voltage leak. Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed? Thanks, :?: BigM Mike
1970 28' express single 318
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
It only takes a few Nautical miles to make me a happy man! :D
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Corrosion Question

Post by Tranquilo »

Curious about this as well.
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

Boatin2 wrote:When we went up to do the bottom paint last weekend I noticed quite a bit more corrosion than I previously had seen. It was all on the port side from the area under the batteries forward to the front. The previous owner had started a lot of "upgrades" at the same time, some of the wiring being one of them. I have everything hooked back up and working but I am not sure what the best way is to find my voltage leak. Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed? Thanks, :?: BigM Mike
We need more information including some photos, in water with electric hookup how batteries are hooked up and installed, wiring etc.

safe boating,

dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

How do I post photos? Every time I have tried it says file size too large, even on my lowest resolution. The batteries are in a wood tray. There are several wires running to them directly. I have yet to identify all of them but I know the battery charger and I am assuming the bilge pump, wiring harness. In the water I usually leave the shore power on and the battery charger on all the time as I live 3 hours away and sometimes its a couple of weeks between trips. My dock neighbor was having a lot of issues last season so I am not positive the problem is on my boat but it seems likely.

Mike
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
At my age I've learned a lot about what to trust and not trust. I definitely do not trust a fart. :lol:
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Is your dock neighbor on your port side? If so, and you don't have an isolation transformer on your boat, than I would put money on your boat being the ground path for your neighbor's. I will not leave my boat plugged in until I get an isolation transformer.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

He is on my port side. Yes, I do have a galvanic isolater.
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
DougDoty
Tin star

Post by DougDoty »

Since you did not say I assume your boat does not have the capac corrosion monitor system. If it does what readings are you used to seeing, as in late last summer.
1984 39 Marinette Sedan, " LIBERTY ONE " Warsaw KY, 440 chryslers, Westerbeke 9.0 kw , 1 3/8" shafts 93 1/4" long and 19x22 dyna quads or, 19x20 DQX's 38.5 MPH GPS best.
Boatin2
Tin star

Post by Boatin2 »

Yes I have a capac meter. When I first launched it was reading 0.9 and after I was in my dock it read 0.65 the rest of the summer. I did hook up a fresh water pump, and the spot light then. I should of checked it after leaving the marina but never thought too.
Sandusky, Oh
Lake Erie, Ohio
Raw water cooled.
honestcharlie56
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by honestcharlie56 »

isolation transformer
1990 Marinette 32 Sedan Flybridge "Hubba" Lake Charles, LA
Twin Chrysler 318's
Calivanos
Tin star

Post by Calivanos »

I can tell you this. When I restored mine last year I was shocked to see the damage. My struts (see post I made with pictures last year) were severely eaten up and bottom damage was concentrated in spots where I couldn't determine why. Turned out upon close inspection cutlass bearings were brass and every sacrificial anode was of an incorrect material. That combined with what had to be stray current in former owners marina wreaked havoc on the aluminum. Interesting enough after restoration, she now lives in salt water, the zincs I purchased from Boat Zincs are actually deteriorating right on schedule and we are now have approaching 6 months. I intend to pull her out and inspect closely soon. Oh and the readings have been all over the place I think because with all the flooding the Colorado River keeps the intercoastal and the marina water all over the place.
Calivanos
1964 31' Marinette Cabin
Twin V6 Vortecs, ZF Hurth Transmissions
Matagorda, Texas