Spot light

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Spot light

Post by Busia »

Does anyone have a spotlight/ searchlight that has a remote control? What batteries do you use???????? I got a new one with no batteries and no instructions ( E-Bay ! ) It takes 2 short fat batteries of some kind. About 1 inch long. Of course it won't work without the remote. Thanks, Ed
BUSIA
located in Ketchikan, Alaska. Gods country
32 foot Marinette (no fly bridge)
twin 350 Crusader (Chev 350) engines
1:1 Borg Warner velvet drive transmissions
Closed cooling (antifreeze in the engine)
Proud to be retired IBEW and an A+P
balthaus
Aluminum Star

Re: Spot light

Post by balthaus »

BUSIA
Try looking at N style batteries or CR123 style batteries....about the only ones I can think of that fit the description.
1984 32' Sedan FB
Twin Chrysler 360's
1.52:1 Velvet Drives
Raw water cooled
Ohio River
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

I have asked myself if I even need a spotlight: In all my years of boating the only time I've turned on the spotlight was to either check it or play around at the dock. I suppose you could use it as a work light on the deck or used help the crew see to pick up the anchor, but we've never done that. While they might be useful to pick up aids to navigation, you'd have to be right on top of the marker--no? The PA Fish Commission has been known to give people heck for using spotlights underway. The big tow boats use them to light up the barges for the crew, but those lights throw a large diameter beam.

I would not go to the trouble to remove the spotlight though I keep wondering why I'm maintaining it.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

I agree, not a real necessity, old one got broken and can't get parts, so just put a whole new one on. Stays light up here until 10 pm or so, and I should be tied up by then. Want the light mostly to be seen by other boats. --Ed
BUSIA
barkleydave
Site Admin

Post by barkleydave »

My pet peeve ... while working.... was folks using the docking lights on pontoon boats mostly. I stopped hundreds of vessels for improper use of them. While I rarely cited an operator for that violation... it was not uncommon to find other violations during the inspection which were cited.
Folks did not understand that when you are approaching another craft you have effectively blinded the other vessel which by definition is "Interfering with navigation".

Spotlights can also be misused and must be used to assist your navigation without interfering with others ability to navigate.

safe boating,
dave
1987 Marinette 29 FB Sedan
Retired Boat Accident UL and USCG trained investigator
Retired USCG Captain
Busia
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Busia »

Yes, I agree. Just yesterday had a fishing boat with 3 sodium vapor flood lights on. They have flood lights to work all night. Could see him in bright sunshine 5 miles away.- Ed
BUSIA