Galvanic Isolator

A/C & D/C Wiring, GPS, Radios, etc.
carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Galvanic Isolator

Postby carl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:55 am

When I upgraded my 120 volt shore power to dual thirty amp service I found one disturbing condition aboard my boat the "IKOI". The original Galvanic Isolator was wired correctly (its simple enough as it is wired inline on the ground wires) however, while installing my new Galvanic Isolator as part of the upgrade I removed the old/original Isolator and found that Marinette used a terminal strip mounted behind the main AC panel as a common connection point for the Galvanic Isolator wires and the green ground wires alone, completely isolated from the rest of the ground circuits aboard. Some yahoo boat mechanic installing the AC unit in this boat many years ago decided to ground the AC unit to this same terminal strip instead of the common strip dedicated to the 120 volt system I guess because it was there and it was easy, obviously he never investigated that circuit before deciding to use it. Good catch by me and also lucky for me there was no harm, no foul. This condition could have resulted in years of current flow to the wrong place "my boats hull" if conditions on board this boat or the marinas dockside power supply were faulty. My advice to all of you is to challenge your own boats galvanic isolator wiring and confirm for yourselves that someone before you did not wire a ground into that isolated circuit, it's a fairly easy inspection, worse part is tracing the wires.
1990 Marinette 32' Sedan Fly Bridge "IKOI"
Twin Crusader 350's (Closed Loop Cooling)
Bow to Stern Full On Restoration in Progress
Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee
A boat is always safe at shore, but that's not what its built for...