1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Hyperjump
Tin star

Re: MY 1966 26 ft 327 fireball

Post by Hyperjump »

Bin out for while , but got rudder shaft packing and prop shaft bushings done. Got to run boat today for first time since working on her. Ran good. Question is , would like to get new water pump for 327 fireball and or could I put electronic ignition on this motor. Water pump works. Temp was 140 - 150. Boat is being pulled out the 15th to have trim tabs installed and like to do all while out. Any suggestions on pump and ignition.
:D HYPERJUMP :D
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie
barefoot99
Tin star

Post by barefoot99 »

Lots of electronic ignition options. One of the easiest is a GM HEI set up , everything is readily available at auto parts stores. A better version of that set up is built by Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) in TN. A little more expensive but well worth the reliability. Pertronix and Mallory both have good options also.
SUP !
1982 32 Sedan FB
2269 hrs
360's-Edelbrocks, DUI
Raw water cooled
Norris Lake
Speedwell,TN.
Hyperjump
Tin star

Post by Hyperjump »

Thanks barefoot99. Will check it out.
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie
ThunderStruck
Tin star

Post by ThunderStruck »

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!
Mike Calp
ThunderStruck
1978 32' FB Sedan
Twin 318s
Middle River,Md
EWRice
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by EWRice »

Being that yours is flywheel forward there are two different water pumps. The impellers are the same (and same as the chryslers) but the actual pump casting is different from LH to RH rotation. I do have a few pumps but would need to know your engine rotation.

Over their production, the rambler based graymarine engines used many different distributors. My '64 book lists 16 different distributors by 3 manufacturers: delco, mallory and auto-lite. Every one I have seen used a delco or auto-lite. The easiest way to get electronic ignition would be with the pertronix kit. I don't believe anyone makes an electronic distributor for these. They are different from the automotive distributors. Especially if the engine is reverse rotation. There should be a tag on the side of the dist. with the part number.
Muskegon Lake
1972 32' Express flybridge
"AL13"
Twin 318s
On board air & prime 920
1963 Thompson Super Sea Lancer
Graymarine 327
1961 Alumacraft 12'
'55 10hp Johnson
Hyperjump
Tin star

Post by Hyperjump »

Had mechanic look at pump , says just change out impeller. Says it looked ok but changing anyway. EWRice ill see which rotation i have and will get back to you. Thanks. No for For ignition , still checking out options. On a different note. Are 9x 12 tabs to small for my 26ft big M. or should I go 12 x 18..Most specs say 9 x 12 are recommended. Bigger would be better or no..Just like to see what others are running. Also Any good canvas guys in North East Ohio that members suggest. Mentor to Conneaut Ohio.
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Bigger tabs are MUCH better. Smaller ones tend to drag more and kill speed. I have giant tabs on my tiny, 12 foot speed boat.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Hyperjump
Tin star

Post by Hyperjump »

Latest update. Bin a bad start for season. But alls good now.
I had all packing and bushings done last year before layup on boat. Non metallic . Good so far.
Now , I get boat out of storage and prepare to run her 30 miles to new home. New oil , and trans fluid again. Better safe than sorry.
Me and 2 of friends set out and alls good till 2 miles from launch , I loose steering. Mind you , I running 3000 rpm . Shut her down as fast as a possible , but not before some serious thumping under boat. ?????? Throw anchor , and start looking. Turn wheel and it turns freely. Lift hatch to look around and see nothing. But still hear clanking every so often. Well with a closer look I see mechanic never put cotter pin in that holds shaft to steering rod and cable. Got put back together ( temporally with small stainless bolt ) Start her up and pull anchor and get under way. Slight vibration at 800 rpm. Limp home and dock.
Pull boat week later and see damages. Rudder is ok , minus some nicks and anode missing. Prop , well not so lucky.
3 1/2 weeks later new prop , new trim tabs , and anodes and new fishing finder transducer installed. Boat running awesome with new prop and tabs. Running at 2800-3000 rpm , 24 mph according to GPS.
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie
Hyperjump
Tin star

Post by Hyperjump »

Also still working on CAPAC. When boat was out for repairs , looked at all anodes and made sure they were mounted correctly and in good shape. All looked new seeing boat was always dry docked till this yr. I am trying to have someone look and help me at my dock to figure out issue. There are 3 Big M docked at my marina , so hopefully get some answers and help. I did buy a overboard mag anode and have it in water now. I did see capac meter move when I put in water. Also when I turn blower on , for motor , meter moves. Only with blower, nothing else that I can see. Capac meter dose not change when in open water vs docked. I have unplugged shore power , no change. Dock neighbors was gone on both sides didnt see change. Going to store to buy multimeter.
1966 26 Ft Express
Saybrook , Ohio
Lake Erie