New Boater, New to me Marinette.

BobCav
Tin star

New Boater, New to me Marinette.

Post by BobCav »

Greetings all, nice to meet you! My first post on the forum so let me introduce myself. I'm a retired US Navy Senior Chief Gas Turbine Tech (84-04) and though I'm a Sailor and a destroyerman engineer, I'm not yet a boater. I've Love being out on the water and have been looking to get a boat for some months now, learning and getting market smart. I currently work for the US Navy as a civilian and I'm the Test, Trials and Maintenance Manager for the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) - Independence Variant. That's the cool looking tri-maran hull version that's made of - you guessed it - all aluminum! And yes, they all have Impressed Current Cathodic Protection (ICCP) systems onboard.
LCS-10, one of the all aluminum Littoral Combat Ships I've built and delivered to the Navy
LCS-10, one of the all aluminum Littoral Combat Ships I've built and delivered to the Navy
Well, a friend knew I was looking and offered to give me a Marinette that his father was restoring when he passed two years ago and he'd rather see me get it than scrap her! Researching online I'm guessing she's a mid-70's 28' Express Cruiser. Not as sleek, sexy, fast or powerful as the one above, but this one is about to me MINE! (I can always add guns later... LOL)
My new-to-me, as yet unseen, Marinette
My new-to-me, as yet unseen, Marinette
She's about an hour away so I still haven't seen her and have no data; year, model, LOA, nothing except for this single pic he gave me and the fact that it has a reman engine with <50 hours (318?). I'm sure that after sitting for 2 years even the engine will need a good checkout, oil change, engine fog, oil prime, perhaps a carb rebuild, etc. We're getting together this Sunday to check her out and make the arrangements!

All my life I've been building and/or repairing anything from computers, Jeeps, engines, wiring, ham radios, electronics, engines, transmissions, gears, anything electrical, electronic or mechanical so projects don't frighten me, they just take time and money. I do know that doing this right means perhaps a lot more time than I can afford since I can't store the boat on my property (HOA) and will have to go somewhere else to work on her, likely only on weekends.

The hull, perhaps the whole boat, will need to be blasted and repainted. I'm certain the wood will all need refinishing or replacement, all electrical systems checked as mice or rodents could have gotten inside and chewed wires, etc. I'm guessing the best way would be to basically strip everything down to parade rest, paint the entire hull and reinstall everything system by system and that might take a good two years, by my guess.

I'm leaning towards an engine and systems checkout, a hull integrity check, replace through hulls, anodes, rudder post bushings and seals, prop and shaft/seals checkout, and anything else in the water, fix up the helm console and whatever I can in the winter, then paint in the spring (weather permitting) and be able to use and enjoy the boat while I finish restoring the inside.

I've already learned a LOT from all of you here on the forum and I'm looking forward to learning more and sharing this project.
Bob Cavalcante, SCPO USN (Ret.)
Gel coat is for ladies' fingernails!
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Re: New Boater, New to me Marinette.

Post by Fastjeff »

First of all, thanks for serving our country. (Second of all, you lucky dog! Love to mess around with explore that 'boat'.)

I hope you can get the boat (yours) closer to home, for that was always my problem with mine (and it was 3 hours away). Lots of work to be done, but they're worth it in the end.

Let me know if I can offer any assistance.

Jeff

PS: Exactly where is the boat? I live on the Bay as well, at Rock Hall.
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
ddependo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by ddependo »

Welcome Captain .
Now you can captain your own alu. vessel. I bet you will have a few things to teach us in new tech dept.
Wayne
1973 32 express fly bridge
Chattanooga
"Southern Lady"
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Fastjeff wrote:First of all, thanks for serving our country. (Second of all, you lucky dog! Love to mess around with explore that 'boat'.)

I hope you can get the boat (yours) closer to home, for that was always my problem with mine (and it was 3 hours away). Lots of work to be done, but they're worth it in the end.

Let me know if I can offer any assistance.

Jeff

PS: Exactly where is the boat? I live on the Bay as well, at Rock Hall.
Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. The boat is in Bunker Hill, WV at my friend's racing shop. I'll likely keep her close, perhaps at a friend's place for the winter. He offered, but we'll see what his wife says first! LOL We live in Manassas.

Bob
Last edited by BobCav on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1985 32 Fisherman, Twin Crusader 270's. No lead onboard: one Relion 300aH LiFePo4 House batt with one Maxwell Ultracapacitor Engine Start Module to start BOTH engines!
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

ddependo wrote:Welcome Captain .
Now you can captain your own alu. vessel. I bet you will have a few things to teach us in new tech dept.
Wayne
Thanks Wayne, nice to meet you. Yes sir! I told my wife that just once I want to take her out of the Chesapeake 12 miles offshore just to be the absolute lawful authority over her - JUST ONCE! LMAO...

I'm a tech geek and an engine guy, I hope I can share some things with the group!

Bob
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM

Welcome aboard. :D
bill
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Thanks Bill! I'm finally getting to see her on Sunday!
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Pics from my visit last Sunday. I'm making arrangements to haul her closer to home and begin working on her restoration. The good, the bad and the ugly. Everything will be pulled out, tanks cleaned and/or replaced, all new wiring and thru-hulls, wood refinished or replaced and just look at that lovely helm! Good thing I know how to fix all this!

These pics are the GOOD. The BAD and the UGLY to follow...
Attachments
Bow
Bow
Port FWD Quarter
Port FWD Quarter
Transom
Transom
Belly of the beast
Belly of the beast
V-Birth
V-Birth
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Pics of the overhead, Galley, Head, help area and helm console. Good thing I wired destroyer consoles in the Navy!
Attachments
Overhead
Overhead
Galley
Galley
Head
Head
Helm Area
Helm Area
Helm from hell
Helm from hell
BobCav
Tin star

Post by BobCav »

Engine looks good! But that wiring drives me nuts...
Attachments
20181118_145909.jpg