Water on floor in salon

Wkeller2010
New poster

Water on floor in salon

Post by Wkeller2010 »

Curious if anyone has had this issue or has an idea where the water is coming from. The boat is a 32', 1989 Sedan Fly Bridge.

We’ve recently had water on the floor in the salon. It’s coming from inside the helm’s wiring and control cables locker. The ‘floor’ in there is wet. This doesn’t happen all the time, and when it does, it’s either barely noticeable, or the carpet is soaked in a 3’ x 3’ area in the center of the salon. The wiring above the floor in the wire locker isn’t wet. The water tank is directly below this locker. No water below the water tank or in the engine compartment. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Walt Keller
Lake lanier, GA
“MISS SALLY” is a 1989 sedan flybridge
jralbert
Site Admin

Re: Water on floor in salon

Post by jralbert »

I'm guessing you have a screw loose. No, not in THAT way. But above in the cabin roof/flybridge floor and water is migrating along its preferred path. Suggest removing headliner and seeing that you can see. Next culprit might be windows with blocked drains. These thins are often mysterious and hard to track but some detective work will lead you to the source eventually.

If it is a loose (or missing) screw or two, easy to remedy: Caulk the hole, wait til it sets a while, tighten the screw.

Good luck!!
-joel-
former owner 1988 '32 FB Sedan
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Wkeller2010
New poster

Post by Wkeller2010 »

In my initial post I failed to mention, when the water appears, it’s only when we’re on plane. Again, it’s appearance is very random. I cannot figure out where this volume of water could be stored. We’re in a covered slip so rainwater should not be an issue. I thought perhaps there’s a loose hose connection, or bad hose, at the water tank but I’ve not found water on top, or below, the tank.
Walt Keller
Lake lanier, GA
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Ahh...drain plugs not tight..thru hull taking in water..loose hose. Have you checked the bilge to see whether you've got water down there...hull crack in a place that's under pressure while you're underway. Forget all the stuff on screws and windows (altho checking window drainage is good general advice).

When you're on plane, bilge water accumulation should be near stern because of angle.

Suggest you have hatches open and have someone inspecting below while you're underway
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Water may be pooling and falls backwards through ?? to below.

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by bill »

BigM

Wkeller2010 :roll:

The boat is a 32', 1989 Sedan Fly Bridge. :arrow:

You have been a member since 2015 how's about adding a signature to your posts :?:

How do I add a signature to my post?

To add a signature to a post you must first create one via your User Control Panel. Once created, you can check the Attach a signature box on the posting form to add your signature. You can also add a signature by default to all your posts by checking the appropriate radio button in the User Control Panel. If you do so, you can still prevent a signature being added to individual posts by un-checking the add signature box within the posting form.

bill
Last edited by bill on Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

bill wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 am BigM Wkeller2010 The boat is a 32', 1989 Sedan Fly Bridge. You have been a member since 2015 how's about adding a signature to your posts...bill
Bill: consider adding a primer..he may not know how to add signature..
-joel-
Chesapeake Bay
twin 318 / 240 hp
Potomac MD
Wkeller2010
New poster

Post by Wkeller2010 »

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll update this post if, or when, we solve this puzzle.
Walt Keller
Lake lanier, GA
Wkeller2010
New poster

Post by Wkeller2010 »

ImageAfter more investigation, it appears that the source of water was a splice in the pitot tube which became disconnected. The source end was spraying water inside the helm wiring cabinet. The tube is reconnected now, so hopefully this issue is resolved. Thankfully the water in there didn’t cause a short.
Attachments
BE7D91C7-8195-466C-A7CD-2368C8C0EF86.jpeg
Walt Keller
Lake lanier, GA
jralbert
Site Admin

Post by jralbert »

Good detective work!
-joel-