My Project - Cost

Rockit
Aluminum Star

Re: My Project - Cost

Post by Rockit »

I've spent lots of time and money on my 28 that I will never recoup in $$$, and it's easy to get discouraged because it seems like the projects keep coming and most of them just want to fight you. This thread reminded me of the day someone stopped me on the dock to confirm the rumor that I was seen walking down the dock with the kitchen sink. I know every screw, every inch of my boat, I have enough stainless steel fasteners and electrical connections to start my own hardware store and seem to have something of a reputation! But when I emerge from a job cussing under my breath and sweating blood, I get a rush and a big grin when someone tells me how much they like my boat.

Those clorox bottles with tiny windows just can't compete.
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

Money has nothing to do with it--it's all about the love of your boat.

For example: Between the annual bottom painting ritual, some needed parts replacement---and the usual Spring failures (of things that always worked perfectly before)--we spent nearly a grand on her this year alone. And we're selling it for $4,000. See my point?

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Calivanos
Tin star

Post by Calivanos »

Let me say I have spread the "love". I'm not dreaming of rolling around on the deck naked......yet, but I get a huge smile on my face when I see her and often dream of our future adventures together. Can you marry a boat in this country yet? If one was to marry their boat would she be considered the head wife or merely a sister wife? Jeff if you were married to your boat you would be getting a divorce which sounds costly, have you considered a trial separation? I think we should all get together and contribute to a save Jeffs "marriage" fund and buy the boat, mothball her, and wait for the holiday road welcome to wear off. In that way we can preserve his friendship, blog availability, and relationship. Anyone?
Calivanos
1964 31' Marinette Cabin
Twin V6 Vortecs, ZF Hurth Transmissions
Matagorda, Texas
martindesign
Aluminum Star

Post by martindesign »

just think in many fiberglass boats you actually need a sawzall to remove the fuel tank.
Machanic, fabricator, carpenter, plumber, electrician, designer, hotrod builder and glutton for punishment. :ugeek: current boat; 1969 Marinette 32 express bridge 440's
Catawba Oh
Fastjeff
Site Admin

Post by Fastjeff »

One of the many (12 in two days) inquiries into buying y 32 footer comes from a Marinetter with a 28 footer.

So, she might remain in our 'family' after all!

Jeff
"We live at the bottom of an ocean of air, not at the top." General Marvage Slatington
Maestro
Aluminum Star

Post by Maestro »

I am going to echo what thanksdad said....there are some things you cannot put a dollar value on. For me, the experience of boating in a marinette is one of those things.

I bought my 28 for $6000 and it came with a kick-butt trailer. The boat needs a lot of work but I started with the projects that pertained to safety (such as replacing extremely old packing box hoses) and will continue at a snail's pace on the cosmetic projects. I don't have a ton of extra money to throw at a boat but I grew up in a boating family and its just part of who I am. I wanted something big enough to stay on for a 3 day weekend with my wife and dog. To me NOTHING can beat a marinette when you combine factors of price, ruggedness, performance (fuel!) And ease of maintenance.

Just talked with a friend who has a steel houseboat with a single Chrysler 318. He says he gets .75 mpg no matter what. I need to do more accurate calculations but I believe I am getting 2.5 or better mpg at 1000 rpms and 1.3ish or better mpg at 2500 rpm cruise speed (21 MPH) not bad for a cabin cruiser.

Would take my grungy old marinette 28 over a million dollar plastic tub any day.
Maestro
1986 32' Sedan
Chrysler 360s
1.5:1 Gears, 16x16 props

1970 28' Express
Single Chrysler 440
1:1 Gear, 14x12 prop

Green Bay, WI
Leviathon
Aluminum Star

Post by Leviathon »

In my opinion - do you use your boat? The value of any boat is how much you use it. I can tell you half of the boats i see never see the water, and the half that do, most just sit at the dock most of the summer - don't get it. I think we might be the first ones to actually wear their boat out! I think most of us consider the work on our boats therapy.
Steve and Mary Levi
1973 32' Marinette Fisherman
SBC Crusaders
El Ohssa
St. Joseph, Michigan
75Express
Tin star

Post by 75Express »

You can count me in with the "dumped too much money in the project and will never get it back" group. I replaced everything except the original mahogany, which was ran through a planer and then re stained and varnished. I have $12,000 in the paint job, welding up of old screw holes, and 4 foot extended swim platform alone, not to mention every wall, ceiling, and floor was replaced. I even replaced the sliding glass windows and tracks. I finally finished the boat this spring after 5 years of weekend working, and have spent almost every weekend on it. I love the compliments I get and thumbs up from people as I drive down the lake or pull into a marina for gas. Everyone that sees it has to touch it when I tell them it is made of aluminum. They think it is made of wood. They all say it is beautiful. And she is! We just bought a home on a canal in Florida and I can't stomach the idea of having it sit in salt water and air. So I currently have it listed on the boat trader for $32,000.00. I don't expect to get anything close to that, but that's what it would take for me to let it go, or something close to that number. Next season it will be a year old on the restoration and I will let it go for less and so on, and so on until it finally sells. But I must say I have enjoyed the project and enjoy the way people react to her. I only hope she goes to someone who will love her like I do.
Enjoy your boat and don't look back. It's not for everybody, but for those of us that know the feeling, it's a good one.
1975 Express Flybridge 32
Twin 318
Lake Lanier, GA
jmonday
Aluminum Star

Post by jmonday »

Well i can say this on my 47 th bday night if my first boat would had been an M at the age of 16 i would have saved alot of money! Keep them floating From Rabbit Hash KY.
Jeff Monday (Blue Mondays)
1973 28 ft Express single 318 1976 StarCraft Islander 1961 Sea Nymph
Lower River rd
Rabbit Hash KY
ericinga
Aluminum Star

Post by ericinga »

Jessica and I bought our 28' with one goal in mind: enjoy the water. We paid $5K in cash and have put about that much into it. The boat is our summer vacation home fifteen minutes away from home.

Our vessel isn't sexy, she doesn't have all of the amenities and there are maintenance moments that drive me absolutely bat shit crazy. However, the hull will never rot and maintenance is relatively inexpensive. In the end, we didn't want to be boat poor.

We will likely sell for less than our total cost. Boats are not profit generators. We own the boat for enjoyment.

Our next boat will be a 32'. We will likely buy it cheap, set it in the driveway for two years and refurbish it.

Eric
Eric Spies
1989 32 SDFB
Twin 318s
Lake Lanier, GA
Marinette Boat