Topside/Exterior Paint

carl
Royal Aluminum Star

Topside/Exterior Paint

Post by carl »

BigM
Last edited by carl on Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bill
Royal Aluminum Star

Re: Topside/Exterior Paint

Post by bill »

BigM
Welcome aboard :!: :D

I have had good experiances with INTERLUX "Brightside" paint system. You can go on their web and find out about the products.
It is extremly important to follow their recommendations to the letter. :oops:
If done correctly your finish will look like it has been sprayed on. :geek:

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/colors/default.aspx#

Good Luck
bill
Last edited by bill on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Former owner of
ALUMINATION
Grosse Ile MI
Located on LakeErie
37' F/B Sedan
Twin 360 Chrysler Marine
Raw water cooled
Hydraulic steering both helms
USCG Master Lic. Retired[/color]
Third Owner bill
yooper
Aluminum Star

Post by yooper »

I used Brightside on my 32'. I also used e2000 on the walk around deck as a primer. I could not thin the e2000 much cause the thinner will melt the old paint. The deck had a bunch of "spiderweb" cracks which I need to fill. The interlux agent suggested the e2000 to bind the old and new finish even though it is a two part bottom paint. I did not use a sprayer. We rolled and tipped the brightside. I did not want to sand all the old finish off. Wherever I sanded thru to bare metal I immediately sprayed with a can of etching primer. That has worked very well. None of the Brightside has lifted off. I also used interlux non skid and flattener on the walked on areas. The advantage to rolling and tipping is you don't have to cover much, just use wide painter tape.
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

I used Brightside for my Ohio boat and Jamestown Distributor's Total Boat paint for my Miami BigM.

I really like the Jamestown paint, felt it went on better (even in the TERRIBLE conditions I had to work in)

The interlux non skid stuff was on my boat and was a huge mess with cracking and flaking. I'd do a straight paint job, then do a Tuffcoat rubberized surface right over it. If your paint is fresh, you won't need the expensive epoxy primer OR the aluminum primer since you are going on top of your new paint, not the metal.

The rubber stuff is cool because it bonds to itself, meaning, you can put fresh coats on every other year until the next paint job
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Anyone have any experience with rustoleum marine paint? We used to use regular rustoleum on the houseboat my family had when I was growing up and it seemed to look pretty good and lay on nice.
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
Rockit
Aluminum Star

Post by Rockit »

We have an aluninum cockpit deck and painted it with Rustoleum marinie paint two years ago. We used the same paint (sans the sand) for the areas under the windshield. It went on easily and has held up well. We followed the directions but it feels like we used too much sand on the deck. Both areas are covered so I don't know if it would be different out on the deck--although we don't cover the windshield.

Hope that helps.

Joe
Joe Napoli
1977 28' Express
Twin raw water cooled 318s
Beaver River--near mile 25 on the Ohio
MetalHead
Site Admin

Post by MetalHead »

I used Rustoleum Topside paint with good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxmM7ekME4

I used a foam cabinet roller for this bow paint job and did not tip. It has held up well.

I put hardener in the paint as well so you have to make sure you only mix up what you can use at one time, but it makes a nice shinny finish.
1959 Family Cruiser - Sold - Gary Dick - 12/05/14
1963 Express 31x10 - Sold - Joe & Ginger Tabor - 01/21/2017
1963 Express 31x8.5 - In Dry Dock - Restore Underway
1987 Sportsman - Lay Lake (Coosa River) Alabama
Big BigM 's Rule !!!
Columbiana, AL
Tranquilo
Royal Aluminum Star

Post by Tranquilo »

That looks great!

How did it hold up? What type of hardener did you put in it? I thought it was a standard Poly..
2x 1973 28 Express - Single 318
New electrical panels, water system and velvet drive
Miami FL & Catawba OH
seef158
Aluminum Star

Post by seef158 »

Thanks for the feedback on the Rustoleum. I figured for the price and my past experience it would be worth a shot. You guys confirmed that for me. Thanks again!
1972 28' express single 318, working on getting the bugs worked out.
forest lake, mn
Duluth, mn
Washburn, wi
TinChips
Tin star

Post by TinChips »

We used Interlux Toplac and the "roll and tip" method with good results. Unfortunately it is no longer available. If you are planning on painting over old finish and not going to bare metal, you must use a 1 part paint. Interlux Brightside is also a paint you should consider. Another paint company that has been mentioned favorably over the years on this forum is Schilling Enamels:
Schilling Enamels Co  
Address: 12632 Triskett Rd, Cleveland, OH 44111
Phone:(216) 252-6242
I have not used them but looked at their price list several years ago and they were much cheaper than Interlux.

Regardless of what paint you choose, 90% of the work is in the preparation of the surface. I dealt with my spider-cracks by using Primer, and then sanded them out and then wet sanded with increasingly fine paper before painting with finish coat.

Thanks,
Craig